Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Strong Willed

I survived another day at Academy. Imagine a class made up of predominately ex veteterans, many special forces or fighter pilots. As usual, I'm the lone female. So yes, it wasn't a happy bunch today. But we kept going. That's what we do. We "gun nuts clinging to our religion" as we were called during the election.. We take stock in what is right, gird our loins (well I adjusted mine after I sat in my chair too long) and we keep on going. We don't have hysterics and consult our psychics or have vapors like some people did with the thought that McCain might win. We'll keep going, and plan for our future.

I mentioned writing a will at 40, I have no idea where it's at, and perhaps should think about writing another one.. Hopefully I'll live another half century or so, but things happen and with my parents quite elderly and my daughter, not legally my inheritor, as I gave her up for adoption when I got pregnant at 19, I probably need to spell it all out. At least so we know who would get custody of my gun and cookbook collection as well as making my best girl friend legal custodian of Barkley. But if I'd had my way, my will would simply have been this. . .


Brigid's Living Will


I BRIGID D, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means. Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead politicians who couldn't pass seventh-grade biology if their life depended on it, or the hands of the doctors/lawyers who want to run up my already huge hospital bill. If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:


A frosty IPA
A Medium Rare Steak
A Terry Pratchett novel
My laptop for blogging
Bladerunner, or Firefly and the Remote
My 1911-A1
Reloading goodies
Fresh boxes of .223
My AR-15 with new PRS stock
A Omlette with Bacon and Cowboy Potatoes
Cheese
Dark Chocolate
or a long slow deep kiss

it should be presumed that I won't ever get better. When such determination is reached I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day. Note: if the "Rev." Jesse Jackson shows up at my bedside, someone, please just shoot me and make it quick. At this point, it's time to call simply ask my friends to raise their glasses and toast the good times we had, preferably after an honorary range match. Don't buy flowers. Give the money to a good conservative military organization. . . . if there's any left.


Signature: ___________________________


Date: ___________________________


P.S. I hear that in the Scotland they have a Nursing Home with a Pub. The patients are happier and they have a lot more visitors

18 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... We are getting to that age- I also have a DNR, and basically the same requests. My kids are not happy that I have sat them down and given them copies of the will and my wishes, but they are old enough to understand. With my youngest being a paramedic, I have no doubt in her ability to pull the plug if required.

My boss just lost his oldest son Saturday night to a hit and run driver, even though the son was 42, it has devastated the entire family. It's not right when the child dies before the parent.

Carteach0 said...

May the day be long off, and the devil forgetten the way to your door.

Yes, we go on, as we must.
John Galt's time may come, but not this day.

BobG said...

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Earl said...

You saved the "Dark Chocolate
or a long slow deep kiss" for last - which means you would already be dead, those are so important together, we should never know that day you aren't demanding them and the warmth they bring to your smile.

Take care, go gently and shoot straight, all the best. Earl

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Best blog I've seen in a while
i'll be back
SBW

Anonymous said...

Just a cautionary note with regard to your adopted daughter. Many states consider a child who has been adopted to still be an heir to your estate. In such a state, your will must specifically address this situation. I assume you discussed this with your attorney but if you did not, you may want to check on your state law.

SED

Old fart said...

Thats why I live in the Higlands of Scotland.

Old fart

stbaguley said...

My final advice to clients as we finish execution of estate plans is always "Now don't use any of those, and I wish you many happy revisions." Same goes for you.

stbaguley said...

There is a County District Court Judge before whom I had appeared several times and who had earned my respect as to his practical and human solutions to the legal problems presented. Called into chambers for a pretrial conference I spotted a "Firefly" poster reproduction on the wall. Confirmation. I think being a fan is a litmus test for the right sort of folk. Proud to be a fellow traveller and have confidence that whatever else transpires There will be Browncoats. (Oh yeah, I finished "Atlas Shrugged". Thanks for that too.)

Kerry said...

Great post. I love your idea of a will if it had been left up to you. Sounds perfect. Hopefully you will live that half century longer and you will not have to worry about it for a long while.

The Hermit said...

You're a pilot too, right? So those guys shouldn't have anything against you. At Pensacola we had a number of females going through flight school, headed for helos or fixed wing patrol aircraft. Nobody cared about gender, and that was about 30 years ago!

As the Japanese say: "Brace up!"

Anonymous said...

"P.S. I hear that in the Scotland they have a Nursing Home with a Pub. The patients are happier and they have a lot more visitors "

French have a similar thing with wine rations - IN THE ARMY - apparently it improves morale. (Imagine. Wine for 18 y.o.'s. The abject horror, I tell you.)

Same with French nursing homes, the places that serve report fewer medical/psych issues with old folks.

tanksoldier said...

If Jesse Jackson shows up at your bedside your loyal fans promise we'll shoot SOMEBODY.

Crucis said...

My Grandson was born today by C-section. My wife wanted to see our daughter and my daughter wanted to see her other two kids before they wheeled her in for surgery. It didn't occur to my until later that if anything went wrong, that could have been the last time we saw her.

It does lead one to thoughts of mortality.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

I have always said that if they made nursing homes like Irish pubs I would sign myself in at a very early age.

The Hermit said...

Well, that's good. There are enough real problems out there without people creating them for you. In my experience, pilots are a pretty eclectic group and they usually make judgments based on the individual, not random things like gender.

pat houseworth said...

If Jesse Jackass showed up at my bedside, somebody would get shot, that's for sure.

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

For sure you are not a Texan due to the fact I didn't see cold beer listed. Anyhow your list is a good one. Thanks for visiting my little blog, and I really like yours, so I am adding you to my list