Saturday, October 18, 2008

SMALL BOAR FUN

It started last weekend. My friends and I were scouting around and spotted this place, Locally Grown Gardens, a cool little farm market operated by Indy chef Ron Harris. It is in what appears to be an old gas station, completely revamped and spotlessly clean. Check out the website, lots of interesting food ideas and recipes using local fare. What caught our eye as we drove past and almost missed it, were the books in the window. Turned out to be a great old collection of cookbooks.There was produce and the best apple cider I've ever had in my life. Served up icy cold, in cups and sippy straws to go. Great if you've been biking or hiking the Monon Trail. Lots of produce, all locally grown, at decent prices. Baked goods, their own bread, rolls and noodles and fruit.

Then, we saw the sign. The words Hog Roast to hungry shooters is like ringing the dinner bell.

So today we went back. After a little detour.

I like my new Ruger Mark III. I like it a lot.


The trigger was nice, and the groupings were decent for the first day with it, my first .22. It was purchased for the sole purpose of additional, inexpensive range fun. A more formal and detailed range report Monday, for now it's off to the Hog Roast. It was served barbecue style, on slices of their delicious white bread (of which I brought home a loaf). Then covered with Chef Ron’s homemade barbecue sauce, Carolina style: sweet and spicy. Indiana hog farmer Greg Miller was on hand to slice the hog and share some piggy wisdom.

There was honeygold apple pie as well. Don't blame me, this time, I didn't make it, but boy do I wish I'd brought more than a slice home.

Then - time to walk it off with a wander through Broad Ripple. Across the street was this cool hippie music store, in which we found a plethora of good used movies, some two for $5. A girl can't have too many copies of Gladiator, you know. And I replaced a worn CD of mine with a new one - Led Zeppelin IV.
Finally, some porch time at the cottage with a frosty glass of. . . yes. . . how appropriate.


Lastly, a trip to Fresh Market for just a few things, including something new - Bacon Chocolate. Yes indeed folks, Mo's Bacon Bar with applewood smoked bacon, alder wood smoked salt and deep milk chocolate. Incredible. $7 for a three ounce bar and they can't keep it in stock.

Too soon it was time to pack up and go home, while saying goodbye to all. As "Black Dog" played loudly in my big, black Chevy 4 x 4, munching on a piece of bacon infused chocolate, I was cautioned, leaving the artsy part of the city, with a wry grin and "careful you don't hit a hippie".

Isn't life just grand.

20 comments:

  1. I love the picture tour of your grand day! Oh, and the title made me snort tea all over my keyboard. It's making funnyiohogiyfoutds4uzxt....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a helluva good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful fall day!

    I wish I could have been there.

    Broad Ripple is so much fun!

    When Broad Riptilians talk about boar-dom... Well, they know what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A day well spent :-) I'd be happy as hell with that group!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Shootin' and bbq in the same post! Don't come much gooder nor that.

    Anxious to read about your 22/45. You'll really like to have a .22. I use mine a LOT. My K22 and .22 Combat Masterpiece get a great deal of enjoyable use and I feel really patriotic helping to keep the ammo makers healthy.

    One of the drawbacks of living where I do is that there is NO such thing as a shopping.eating day such as you had. Guess you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a day well spent, Brigid. I never, ever thought I'd be craving bacon chocolate, but it sounds disturbingly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacon & Chocolate... a pair o' star crossed loves. MmmMmmmm!

    What a wondrous day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a Standard gas station. Like a Pizza Hut with its signature roof, the building was its own sign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been teaching my oldest granddaughter to shoot also. Started with a Sig Mosquito .22 and she has become pretty good with it. So last week I took along the Sig Stainless .45 1911 to let her try it out. Much better trigger pull than the Skeeter, and now all she wants to do is throw the heavy lead! Man, I've been reloading all week!! Teaching a RECEPTIVE 13 yr old to do something is truly relaxing and gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll confess...

    To the Hippy remark.... My first thought was "Yup, 'cause they are corrosive and will rust your truck when they get lodged underneath".

    I'm a stinker some days.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mo's Bacon Bar, intriguing. Did a google search and they have it on Amazon. Will have to try it. Two of my favorite things to eat, how could I go wrong.

    JDP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great day. I need some days like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm...roast beast with BBQ sauce.
    Mmmm...bacon...with (Mmmm) chocolate no less...will have to give that one a try.
    Mmmm...shooting.

    That was quite a day of great things.

    Looking forward to the range report as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I've got this huge multi-page spreadsheet for tracking our reloading stats. As we're just getting back into it we had to buy all new reloading equipment. I don't know if you read it, but my 10/6/08 post details with links what we got. As most of my readers (as far as I know) don't shoot I go into more detail than what is probably necessary for someone that target shoots or reloads when I post about these activities.

    Anyway, with the spreadsheet I input the cost of ALL the equipment. I also track the cost of our consumables, bullets, powder, primers and when we've been able to find used cases. With that press we've already reloaded just over 2,000 rounds in two weeks. Based on the cost of the consumables I mentioned, it cost only $442. A note as to the cases, once the used cases that we purchased have been reloaded and shot once, I don't attach any cost to them. That really brings down the price. If we'd purchased all that ammo off the shelf, we'd of spent just over $1,000.

    When we reload I feel like we're printing money. All of our bullets are jacketed, some are hp, while others are not. Rainier Ballistics seems to have the best price in area. So far we've used Hodgdon tite group (38 cal & 9mm), HP-38 (my favorite in the 38's) & Alliant Unique in the 40 S&W.

    Our cheapest 38 caliber load is 13.8¢ per cartridge instead of 32¢ for a comparable purchased cartridge. For 9mm it's 13.1¢ per round instead of 56¢ for a comparable purchased round. For our 40 caliber S&W M&P compare 17¢ to 64¢ a round. At this point, we've got our press and all the other reloading related equipment more than 1/3 "paid off" with the savings from reloading.

    If you want some specifics on powder loads, bulllet weights, whatever let me know & I can "shoot" those to you or anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Regarding the pie:

    "two is one and one is none"

    Fits advice for more than just firearms.

    Dennis Shhh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems like a pretty fun trip. I am glad the new .22 pistol worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All you danged Indy bloggers are making me homesick.

    Though when I was hanging out in Broad Ripple, I was down at the park playing in the big rocket-shaped jungle gym.

    Do they still make great apple butter down in Brown County?

    ReplyDelete
  18. But "When the Levee Breaks" is THE BEST EVAR. If I make history by becoming the oldest new UFC fighter, it'll be my entrance song.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Led Zeppelin, guns, bacon and chocolate? I think the only faster way to my heart would be through my ribcage with a pair of pruning shears ;)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.