Saturday, November 29, 2008

THE ECONOMICS OF QUALITY

The range was closed today, so off for a gun store crawl with friends. Hopefully in the next day or two, range time and a report on the new Bersa 380. One of the reasons this gun was selected was it provides a good quality gun, in a good concealed size for my form, at a very reasonable price.

Much of what one looks for in preparing meals for a group.

We start with leftover ham. A couple cups of it. Add a few inexpensive ingredients and you've got Home on the Range Rustler Russets. (also known in various forms as church supper potatoes in many, many cookbooks).

It's beyond simple, Take a 2 pound bag of hash brown potatoes. Stir in two cups of cheese of choice (I used a smoky cheddar) two cups of chopped veggies sauteed in butter until they are caramelized (all that butter they are cooked in goes in there too), a cup of sour cream, salt and pepper, a dash of garlic powder and a can of creamed soup.
Stir it up and put in a 13 x 9 pan. This will easily feed 6-8 hungry people. Top with a generous cup of crushed corn flakes which were mixed with two tablespoons of melted butter. The buttery corn flakes add a really nice little crunch to the top.

Bake at 350 for an hour while you plan the next day's activities.
Time to eat!

If you shop wisely you can make this dish for about $1.50 per serving. An economical little treat. Just like my Bersa. The economics of Concealed Carry - you don't have to spend a fortune to have quality self defense.

Hey, after Thanksgiving dinner, eggnog pancakes and this, I think someone shrunk my gun belt !

22 comments:

Breda said...

I can't wait for the range report - and that's a great choice for a holster, it's exactly how I carry mine, and I find it very easy to conceal.

phlegmfatale said...

*slobber*

Vic said...

If you take out the ham & veggie bits, that's what my MIL taught me to make as Potato Casserole. Made some for Thanksgiving, and am doing up another batch today too!

YUM!

Anonymous said...

Every time I come here, I end up drooling over the recipes and food pics. Every stinkin' time. Now I gotta head to the grocery store again...

- zonker

Bob said...

I'm looking forward to getting a Ruger LCP, myself; I want something that is a little more lightweight and pocketable.

immagikman said...

Hope you had a great Turkey day and manage to miss the "Mall" Traffic to get to the gun shops.

We went to a movie with my son yesterday and realized this was almost as bad as trying to go to a Mall...

Today is our last day with him before he rides off to go back to college and work so we will just relax at home, the range is closed today as the owners wanted a relaxed weekend too.

Anonymous said...

I have a bersa .380 thunderer. Shortly after I got it but before I shot it Gun tests magazine wrote it up. They didn't like how the safety/hammer drop worked.Kinda iffy. I checked mine and they were right. I just live with it as long as the safety works. Search at guntests.com.the mushroom

Anonymous said...

What is the holster? Hope you like your Bersa as much as I like mine.

copano said...

Really like the Bersa holster. What is it? I hope you enjoy yor Bersa as much as I do mine. Copano

PatJ. said...

Really lie the Bersa holster. What is it?

Old NFO said...

Good food, good friends, good guns; what more can one ask :-)

DonWorsham said...

Does the holster stay open for a one-handed re-holster?

raven said...

Well, John Ruskin said, "it is unwise to pay too much, but is is also unwise to pay too little, for if the object is incapable of doing it's job, and it must be improved, you have have now spent as much as it would have cost in the first place if you had spent what was necessary". - or words to that effect, it has been a long time.
On holsters, a trick I have used for years is to find one that is close, and wet it, insert the gun and "bone"i t to fit, and run a line of stitching if necessary to tighten it more. Very useful for uncommon guns.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Sometimes, I hate your blog. Why? I get too hungry when you post wonderful food presentations. Otherwise...

Vinnie said...

How is the Bersa an improvement on the PA-63 from Hungary or the venerable Makarov? I have both of those and consider them a lot of "bang for the buck" in terms of reliability, accuracy and power.

Popgun said...

Hi, Brigid;

I'm looking forward to your range report on the Bursa 380. That's the same gun my wife carries.

-Popgun

Brigid said...

Vinnie - For historical value, I think I'd like the Russian one, but this was brand spanking new and a early Christmas gift so I'm VERY happy with it.

I've had people buy me can openers for Christmas. . this was a much better present!

Vinnie said...

I would be happy with it too I am sure. I was just hoping for an informed comparison.

The Freeholder said...

It's nice to see someone else who realizes that it is possible to have quality firearms on a budget. I have a Kel-Tec PF-9 that has become my primary carry gun. I've caught a lot of flack from folks because I bought a "cheap" gun for self-defense. But, besides the small package, it goes "Bang!" every time I pull the trigger, and has feed everything I've tried to feed it, from WWB to Federal Hydrashocks, with no misfeeds to date.

I'm going to see if Daughter will try this recipe. If it works out, I'll reciprocate with the recipe for Skeenburgers. Since you seem to feed a crowd often, this would be a great one for you--provided you like burgers.

Eric said...

I think that Ruger with their LCP has stoked the fires of the .380 market. I bought a Beretta 85FS last week. What drew me to it was that it was the single stack 8 round version, not it's dumpy sister, the 13 rounder. And it's jet black, not the shiny nickel as my wife is allergic to nickel.

I'm taking Wednesday off to see how my new acquisition shoots.

phlegmfatale said...

Okay - a cold front is blowing in and tonight's the night for this recipe - what flavor of creamed soup do you recommend? Mushroom? Chicken?

Brigid said...

Cream of Chicken is what I prefer, but any creamed soup will work. Well, perhaps not cream of turnip.