Monday, June 28, 2010

.38 Things I Learned From Shooting


(1) Don't buy a new type of gun until you've had a chance to fire one of them.

 (2) Never try to keep more than 200 separate thoughts in your head during that first shot.

 (3) The less skilled the shooter, the more likely he is to come up to you at the range and criticize your grip.
 (4) No matter how bad that first target is, it's possible to be worse.

(5) The inevitable result of reading about how to improve your shooting is the instantaneous annihilation of that one critical unconscious movement that actually made you hit the paper in the first place.

(6) A steel plate shoot is a test of your skill against everyone else's luck.

 (7) Nonchalant shots count the same as chalant shots.

 (8) The shortest distance between you and that 12 point buck is the straight line that passes directly through the center of a big tree.

 (9) It's been said that bad shots come in groups of three. That fourth shot however, will be the beginning of that next group of three.

 (10) The first time you make a bulls eye you must subsequently make two shots not even close to the target in order to avoid altering the fabric of the universe.
.

(11) If you wish to shoot like a pro, it'll happen when no one is looking.

 (12) There is one important thing you can learn by stopping your shot before the trigger is pulled and checking the position of your hands on the grip. How many hands you have.

 (13) It's easier to get up at 6 am to go to the range, then it is to clean your gutters.

 (14) The most skilled shooter at the range is usually not the talkative person with the fancy gear, $200 range bag and tactical clothing. It's that quiet guy or gal in the T-shirt with the ammo cans. Watch them and learn.

(15) In hunting shots - trees attract, animals repel.

 (16) If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up someone else's brass.

 (17) If there's a storm rolling in, you're at the outdoor range.

(18) Sticks and stones may break your bones, but a .45 will kill you.

 (19) Shooting is not life or death. But one day it may be.

 (20) Ammo is like eggs. Unless you're a farmer with chickens that reload. It comes in small boxes and you need to buy fresh boxes each week.


(21) A shooter who hates to vacuum, dust or pick up their clothes will spend an hour carefully cleaning, oiling and packing their weapon.

(22) It takes more years to buy all the guns you want than it takes to be a doctor. But then again, try warding off a home invasion with a stethoscope and some Zyrtec and see how well you come out.

 (23) Just as a $30,000 bike and 300 miles doesn't make you a biker, a $1200 firearm and camo pants doesn't make you a shooter.

 (24) That new gun at the incredibly low price will come with the only magazine of its kind in existence.

 (25) Quail often wear little Kevlar vests under their feathers.

(26) Criminals obey gun laws as much as politicians obey their oaths of office.

 (27) Anyone who is mistaken for a bull moose and shot, probably shouldn't be in the woods anyway

 (28) Bullets don't multiply but they do migrate. (How did this stripper clip end up in my sock drawer).

 (29) Fast won't help you if you can't hit center mass.

 (30) If your gun collection includes a pair of nice .38's, refrain from discussing them in earshot of your minister.

 (31) I can say "Stop" in five languages. My .357 says it without a word.

 (32) Range cleavage attracts more hot projectile brass than male attention.

 (33) Paper is fun but metal makes that resounding plink of freedom.

 (34) Don't ever put your gun down to give a Grizzly a hug.

 (35) Coyote and fox instinctively know the absolute range of your firearm and will stand 6 inches past it.

 (36) The only equal rights amendment I need is the Second one. (37) Take all the time in the world to shoot, as long as you shoot first.

 AND THE 38th THING I LEARNED FROM SHOOTING?

 (38) The zombies won't just shoot themselves you know.

9 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Well said.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I would also add it is our responsibility to defend those who are weaker and more helpless, such as children, the old lady next door, the handicapped. Just an addition, not a repudiation to your post. Get well soon!

Fester said...

Very well said Brigid, and I hope you are feeling better.

Crucis said...

Still, there are some women who don't believe they need to be armed and proficient. Mrs. Crucis is proficient and likes my wheel guns. I bought her a snubbie like mine for Christmas last year. But---she doesn't think she needs a CCW. In Missouri, she can carry a loaded weapon in her car regardless if she has CCW or not.

Still, she won't carry even though she teaches at night in KC. Some of her students will walk her to her car at the end of class but that doesn't always happen.

BK said...

Well wrote. I'm planning on open carrying all the time, as soon as I hit 18. Now I just open carry as much as I can legally on our private property.

Sherry said...

Add my total agreement to your words. I am a woman, I carry a concealed pistol most every place I go. The only thing I'd add to your comments - if you are going to carry, then please get proper training and then practice on a routine basis. I not only support, but I encourage, any law abiding, mentally stable person (especially women)to get a firearm and be ready to use it.

Robbie said...

My wife was very anti-gun when we met. One of the happiest events in the last year was when she came to me and said she wanted to get her concealed carry permit and to learn to shoot.

She now carries everywhere and is getting to be a pretty good shot... even if her glock is pink...

Crawler said...

Well said indeed.

The next time some arrogant, naïve, leftist extremist sonofabeech tells me that people with guns and gun permits are only trying to be “macho”, I’ll refer him to a blog of certain lady I read that wants to be ”bent like Gumby and can tell you which handgun loads for bear should be considered; and then I'll tell him to report back to me…

Shannon said...

Shhhhh...listen closely..If you put your hand to your ear, I'm sure you will be able to hear me slamming my fist on the table and barking "DAMN RIGHT!!!" almost every time I read one of your posts.