Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Day in Pictures (Calorie count not included, it's for your own good, folks).

You know the drill, click photos to enlarge.
Have napkin handy.
I passed on going to day two of the gun show, but invited several of my friends over for lunch after. I kept busy until they arrived cleaning and puttering around the homestead.
Time to tidy up the family room and get out a couple extra TV trays so we can eat out here. I"m staying with friends while the house shows, helping with home renovationsa and children, in exchange for a futon in the family room, and a place for Barkley while the Realtor does her thing. They'll be here soon. Time to put on some tunes.
Mr. B. and Midwest Chick showed up first, bearing all kinds of goodies, including a 10 year old cheddar (what do you mean there's none left for a photo?) and some incredible homemade brownie cookies that were nibbled on as we perused through the latest in toys in the house. (Yes, those ARE all primers). Barkley got pats as usual.

Og and his buddy M. and M's little brother Rich were able to make it. Check out Rich's great new blog, Rich's Garage , a must for classic car buffs.

We added some adult beverages (Yingling, you shouldn't have!) for those not driving and gathered round to catch up. Conversations ranged from cars to practical jokes we've played to Monty Python. It IS true, if you get a room full of geeks and even if they are all different sorts, gun geeks, sci fi geeks, car geeks, computer geeks, or gaming geeks, someone is eventually going to say, with the best of British accents, "Ni!". At that point, as Og pointed out, someone will begin to prance around on an imaginary horse, a couple of folks will be doing the Parrot sketch and I, without being able to control it, will be yelling "bring out your dead". It's inevitable.

Today wasn't much different.The conversation was great, but I'm afraid that since I enlightened Midwest Chick on the merits of finely honed Samurai Swords as zombie back up she is going to be wanting one.

The meal was simple, and with the bread (and dessert) being baked yesterday when it was cooler, I was able to fix it without heating the house up too much.

The appetizer (where did it go???) was flatbread drizzled with some olive oil, mushrooms and fresh Parmesan and then baked. It didn't last long enough for a photo, but hey, we still had those great cookies!

For the main course. Homemade Sourdough Rosemary Bread
And Gun Show Meat Sauce (of course it has BACON). With venison, red wine, not so secret herbs and spices, wild honey, tomatoes, caramelized onion, roasted garlic, spicy pork sausage and BACON, how can you go wrong.
Did anyone save room for Chocolate Guinness Cake
Soon, there was nothing left but a gathering of good friends and empty dishes. (And one little red dog hoping for leftovers).
It was good to finally have a weekend back in IND. It was great to be with some people that are as close to family as I will have in these parts. I am too full to move, so I will just sit a spell, listen to Mr. Cash and watch the sun go down. There are some days you just don't want to end.

21 comments:

RichD said...

Just got home and had to send you a thank you. That meal was fantastic, and I enjoyed meeting everyone (including Barkley). It was nice being able to put faces to the blogs I read. That was the best meal I have had in a long time. Thanks again. Rich

Keads said...

Ouch! The reloading bench is boggling my mind, but I cannot say anything other than I am going to try the meat sauce ASAP! Oh, and this:

Glad you had a good weekend and no one pulled out the Holy Hand Grenade! Chapter eight I think for operation?

D.W. Drang said...

Keep this up and I'll be trying to convince Mrs. Drang that Midwest winters aren't as bad as I had convinced her...

Hat Trick said...

Sounds like a good time. Wish I'd been there.

Paladin said...

I'm convinced that you can judge the quality of a group meal by how many people have to kick off their shoes when its over and wiggle their toes in satisfaction....

Yep, looks like you got it covered :)

Midwest Chick said...

We had a great time!! The food was lovely and the conversation made it better. Thanks for introducing me to chili beer! Next time our place!!

og said...

Toe truck. Smartass.

Great food. Good to finally get to meet the mutts, theyre awesome!

Have been trying to post comments, everything seems to be broken like a tom waits song.

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

The meat sauce sounds wonderful. Apparently, though, I'm a failure as a geek - I haven't the faintest idea what "Nyet" in a British accent refers to....

Brigid said...

RM1(SS)ret - it's NI. . typo after that Pennsylvania beer. :-)

Matt said...

Sounds like a great day! Alas mine only included a hike through the mountains with a new friend and later playing with my new granddaughter for a couple of hours.

The Chocolate Guinness Pie (cake?) is now on the radar!

PresterSean said...

I'm not dead....

reflectoscope said...

I'm glad you had a good time, with food like that I think it'd be difficult not to!

Ji

Cond0010 said...

"It IS true, if you get a room full of geeks ... someone is eventually going to say, with the best of British accents, "Ni!".

Ya. Its _the_ handshake protocol among geeks. Even trying to pre-empt such a conversation, just makes things worse:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=906

Ed Rasimus said...

But they no longer say "NI!" It still wouldn't hurt to have access to a shrubery and to bone up on the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. A king's got to know that sort of thing.

TJP said...

Heh. Any more on that loading bench, and it's going to need a two-by-four wedged under the middle.

Ryan said...

I miss Yingling though with some perspective I would say the quality beer choices here are better.

Shannon said...

Oh yes - Gun Show Pasta Sauce - that's a keeper! And now for something completely different...a man with 3 buttocks :-).

MOBro said...

Looks and sounds likes you had a blast! Not to mention got well fed. As far as I can tell there was only one thing missing... ME! Oh well, so it goes and life goes on. Be Blessed!

cjc said...

Have been enjoying your posts, so thought I would comment.

Dillon builds equipment, eh?

Good sauce too.....

Mr.B said...

You can't beat good food, and good people with good, intelligent conversation. Especially with a lovely, witty, and talented hostess.

I am the better for having been there.

Ed Foster said...

I am envious, and I see the Bacon Witch has gone and tempted me again, this time with the Gun Show Sauce.

I'll probably have to pass on the honey, and run Perri's mild Italian sausage (which is actually medium hot), but I'll have some cloned sauce within a day or two, with thanks.

And as Ed Rasimus mentioned,“We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!”

Oh God, I actually knew that. Don't tell my kids.

Oh wait. They grew up watching it with me.

Again, thanks for the inspiration, and my waistline will curse you fondly in a day or two.