Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hitting the Mark

These aren't your typical cowboy biscuits. Made by layering a cream cheese and whipping cream infused biscuit dough with tiny slivers of butter, folding end over end, they're not something you can put together between getting the four legged crittersdown for the night and the first rampage of hungry rangehands. But if you have some time on an evening or weekend, these are well worth the trouble. Several cowboys have tried making them in their own kitchens after I made them for friends, including Old NFO who gave them two thumbs up from his kitchen. The result is 72 layers of dough, with an incredibly light, but definately biscuit, taste. After one of these you will just use that can of "flaky biscuit" dough for target practice. Layered Cream Cheese Biscuits I first had them at the Robinwood Free Meeting House, a creation of Chef Michael Gagne, but I wanted to try and make my own. They were worth the work. They're tall and tender, just like some cowgirl you may know.

8 comments:

Paladin said...

Dang.. those look and sound GREAT! I'm saving this recipe for when I have the time to do it right.

I also really dig the old cigar label graphic :)

Old NFO said...

They ARE great (and I put on about five lbs eating them)!!! ;-)

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, yum!

Bob in Tampa said...

These sound really great...but I am still obsessed by your Gumby post!

Shame on me!

Morris County Feedstore said...

They are fat free..right? Heh.
Another one that will be tried out, ASAP.
Blessed Independence Day, Brigid.

john bord said...

tall n tender.... hmmmmm

as long as i can throw em in the dutch oven

MO Bro said...

Ahh, how tempting... Those would go good with a long, tall lass, or glass of your favorite beverage, no doubt.

And I agree with Sir Bob in Tampa about the Gumby post. No shame though, 'cuz what else would one expect?

Hammerbach said...

Good Lord, when were you in Maine? I miss my beloved hometown of Bath...