Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hunting and Fishing Breakfast Essentials


OK, I only slept 12 hours but woke quite hungry and with three days outdoor R and R planned. There were just the staples on hand, bacon, butter, bread, milk, sugar, seasoning, essential hunting and fishing electrolyte replacement liquid. (I'm a Jameson fan myself, but you have to make sure you have enough medicinal supplies for the whole family or crew).

What to make?

French Toast with Bacon and Maple Bourbon Butter

click to enlarge photos.

If your idea of a good breakfast is tea and toast, remember. I learned long ago, if you are going to hang around with the HOTR folks (pictured - the honorary Canadian HOTR division), you need to learn to make a HOTR breakfast.

And don't forget the electrolyte replacement. Don't want you all getting faint out there.

11 comments:

  1. The pictures alone are 400 calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the Jameson's for adding to the batter, or for while you're making the batter?

    Hmmm.

    Best not to guess. Better do both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a crowd :-) Good food too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh... I haven't had a real breakfast in so long.... Modern life is for the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, I just finished eatin' supper and now I'm hungry again...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honorary HOTR Canadian division, indeed!!! And all red-blooded, Grade A certified, dyed-in-the-wool bacon eaters, though often it's Canadian Back Bacon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks tasty.. We usually don`t mix sweet and meat, but this looks worth trying..

    Thanks, Brigid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brigid,

    I peeked at your recipe. Isn't a cup of vanilla a bit much for French toast? It would require two of the bottles shown in the picture for a cupful of vanilla.

    My mother grew up during the Depression and would only add a teaspoon in a much larger batch. For my part, I use about a tablespoon of vanilla in a batch your size.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the pic of the fly fishing guys, depict real Canadians, I really hope that the stogies that they are all puffing on are REAL Cubans, since in Canada, they do not have that silly embargo against Cuban products.

    Sigh, for a real Cuban once in a while.

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
  10. has horse rounded up, mule along side n packed.... heading out fer som swedish flapjacks... will stop in lindsbourg fer som ligonberry syrup got a pig in the sights,,,,, yehaw.... look out the swedes be a callin

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I haven't been to your site in awhile... I just saw the pic of the french toast with maple burbon butter. I need a napkin now to wipe up all the drool on my chin (and desk).

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..