Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why I Don't Write Advice Columns


Dear Brigid:


I'm so upset I just don't know what to do. It started this morning. My husband asked me to take our favorite pistol and drop it off at the gunsmith. Apparently it had an issue with the hammer falling to halfcock when he took it to the range last week and he wanted to have someone look at it. I said I'd drop it off on my way to work and he could pick it up later.

I took his truck as mine needed gas and the stop at the gun shop would add time to my commute. I didn't think he'd mind. On the drive I dropped my cellphone. At a stop light, I reached underneath the seat looking for it. I found a smaller sized pair of women's pink thong panties. Oh Brigid, They weren't MINE!

I'm only 36, we've been married 17 years, no kids. I thought maybe it was the weight I put on or the fact we've been together since high school and he was bored.

Oh Brigid, how did this happen? I don't know what to do.

Please help me.

Troubled in Toledo


Dear Troubled:

First, I am so sorry.

But there are several reasons your gun may fall to halfcock. The sear/hammer surfaces could we worn, and you might have to re-cut/sear/hammer bearing surfaces. The disconnector might be binding - just remove any debris that might be causing this, making sure there is enough pressure on the middle finger of sear spring. The sear spring or the overtravel might just need a little readjustment.

Lastly, check your safety - with empty gun cock hammer, engage the safety, pull the trigger (the hammer shouldn't' more or fall) and disengage safety (hammer should not move). If it fails this test I have to tell you girl, get it fixed immediately.

Trust me, I understand your distress
, your gun is a finely tuned, precision instrument that is comprised of numerous components designed to function in one precise way. When it doesn't, it is very upsetting. If these diagnostic activities don't help, you DO need to see a competent gunsmith to make the necessary repairs.

I hope this helps.

Brigid

24 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I don't see what the problem is ... you provided perfectly good advice.

Lois Evensen said...

I agree. Very good advice. ;)

BK said...

-snort- nope, don't see the problem either, I mean you addressed the ISSUE didn't you?!

ViolentIndifference said...

I love your sense of humor.

Mr.Wolf said...

There is the very old joke about two men changing at the gym. One is wearing black lace panties.

'How long have you been wearing those, Jim?'

'Since my wife found them in my glove compartment.'

Best wishes.

wv= raingum. We have blue gums here in Oz. Ghost gums, all kind of other gums, but no raingums. Could do with them after the dry winter we've had.

DirtCrashr said...

At least you didn't say...get a GLOCK!

Tango Juliet said...

Ha!

ViolentIndifference said...

P.S. The panties can be used to wipe away Hoppes#9.

Carol Carr said...

You slay me. I don't think people realize how hard it is to be funny in print. You can have a great sense of humor and be the life of the party, but writing down the same material to get a laugh is SO much harder to accomplish. You pull it off with style.

john bord said...

Darn, ya missed your avocational calling to a second career.
If all else fails the pink thong can be used to sling the muck across the barnyard. Makes nice back up or throw down.

DaddyBear said...

As for the secondary issue, lots of men wear pink thongs. Gets them in touch with their feminine side. Maybe he was using it as a kind of bore snake.

Hat Trick said...

Ha! Such a one track mind. :-)

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

Just found you blog. I will be putting you on mine. We have a lot in common. I need to start posting more about guns and hunting.

Anonymous said...

Years ago I asked a fellow police officer why he was squirmin' around so much, he said the ladies panties he was wearing kept riding up on him.

I asked him why and how long he'd been wearing ladies panties... to which he replied... ever since his wife found some that weren't her's in his truck!

Brigid, you gave the best advice I've ever read!

Dann in Ohio

Larry said...

Ha ha, get a Glock...
waitaminute...I have a Glock!

idahobob said...

Bravo!!

Bob
III

RC said...

LMFAO

Anonymous said...

I'm a 64 year old man and I wear a cammo thong ... but, you can't see it!

sobriant74 said...

As always, I need to not drink beverages when reading your posts for fear of spewing on my monitor! Nice pic of the P220.

Midwest Patriot said...

Perfect, Girl, just perfect!

ASM826 said...

Seems like good advice. There's lots of men and women around, a good running gun is a special thing.

Anonymous said...

Howdy, I came to your site and read "Why I Don't Write Advice Columns" after seeing a link to it on Confederate Yankee. Very new to gun ownership at 54, and having just gotten my conceal carry permit (which I'll need a lot more time with a gun before I actually use!), I know very little gun terminology.

Read your reply to my husband, hoping he'd know where the joke behind the advice was, but, like me, he only heard the actual gun answer and did not pick up on the joke.

Sorry to be a ditz here. . . but could you explain the joke to this newbie?

Thank you!
Trudy

Brigid said...

Trudy - welcome! The joke was a woman asks advice about a philandering husband and being the gun person I am, I only pick up on the "oh there's a gun in the story" and respond to that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brigid,

Thanks for answering my question. Glad I am not as much of a ditz as I originally felt!

Great site!

Trudy