Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Range is HOT

I've had a couple of readers make remarks that my favorite Sriarchi sauce is little more than glorified ketchup. Be that as it may, it's still a favorite and if you haven't tried a little on Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza you are missing something.

Traditional Sriracha is a Thai hot sauce named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in the Chonburi Province of central Thailand, where it was first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants. It is a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. The traditional Thai Sriracha tends to be tangier, sweeter, and thicker in texture (higher viscosity) than the American version, nicknamed "rooster sauce," which is made in Southern California. A million bottles are sold a year.

OK, those of you that are going to, say it. It's just fancy ketchup. Look, cooks, gourmet or otherwise, in and of themselves aren't terribly complicated creatures. All sorts of books and televisions shows are out there to ferret out the secrets of really unique cooking which is a little like using quantum physics to understand a transistor radio.

I like to consider myself somewhat of a gourmet. But my tastes are not complicated. Though I like foods with flavor and texture and mystery, exotic ingredients from around the globe, I also love Ichiban noodles, perogies, beer and loud rock and roll music. And I love sriracha.

click to enlarge

Scirachi Hot Chick Enchiladas.

The sauce itself sauce is great over baked chicken wings, just toss and serve or as an ingredient in somes of the best enchiladas on the block.

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves minced garlic
one small sweet onion, diced fine
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons vineger
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

In sauce pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add onion and garlic. On medium heat, cook the onion and garlic until soft and golden brown, stirring constantly so they do not burn. Then add tomato sauce, honey, sriracha hot sauce, vinegar, soy sauce and ground cumin.

Mr. Rooster realizes the fire pit is NOT a good sign.

Reduce heat to medium/low and let simmer for 4 miinutes.

You will need 8-10 tortillas and 2 cups of colby jack/cheddar mix.

Shred 4-5 cooked chicken breasts and toss with hot sauce.

Mix one package dry ranch dressing mix with one cup of sour cream.
Stir in one and 1/4 cup of Cream of Cluck Soup or use one small can of store bought if you must.

Place a heaping spoonful of chicken in the middle of a flour tortilla. Drizzle with a spoonful of the creamy dressing mix (separate spoon). Top with a healthy pinch of cheese. Roll up and place in a 13 x 9 pan that you have sprayed lightly with non stick cooking spray. When all areassembled, cover with the remainder of the sauce. Top with remaining cheese and a grind or two of fresh black pepper and a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes if you are brave.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 until hot and bubbly. Abut 20-35 minutes for most ovens.


  1. Now those enchiladas look like a good use for Sriracha.

    I apologize if I offended you by calling it "Chinese Ketchup" a while ago. I guess my friend was wrong since it's actually of Thai origin.

  2. I'm a big sriracha lover, too.

    For a delicious sandwich, combine roast chicken, thinly sliced ripe roma tomatoes, a leaf or two of Boston lettuce and slather on a healthy portion of mayonnaise mixed with as much sriracha as your taste buds will tolerate.

    Stack all of it on some freshly warmed french bread, drink with a nice India pale ale and you'll be content for the rest of the afternoon.

  3. Not sure what the critics of Sriracha are talking about-it's hotter than Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot (sort of the standard strength pepper sauces IMHO)

    Have you seen these:

    They are every bit as addicting as their wasabi coated cousins.

  4. I tried to come up with a mix of "hot woman", "spicy", and "of like mind" and such. I really tried, but a clever comeback isn't in me today. Too many local sad things going on.

    So I owe you one. Sometime soon I'll post a really clever reply equating hot or spicy to you. Oh it will be good. Smooth and golden-tongued. It will be zesty.

    But it will probably be on a post that has nothing at all to do with hot sauce... :-P

  5. Yummmm....
    I am a big fan of Tiger Sauce also, but I don't know if it has a particular heritage or not.

  6. Wow! I like. I know my sweet chili chicken dipping sauce isn't the same ... but I wonder if mine would work for those less enamoured of heat.

    Thanks, Brigid. The overnight snowfall makes this a perfect day to look at hot chicken.


  7. Sriracha = da bomb!!!

    I look at it the way I do Tabasco, other than occupying a station on my personal food chain: a few drops add a little flavor, a lot of drops add a lot of life.

    Those enchiladas look To Die For, btw..............

  8. Looks GOOOOOD! And Sriracha is something else... :-)

  9. Why do I always read your posts when I'm HUNGRY? Or, get hungry upon reading them? I always thought the Range was hot for other reasons...?
    (a smart, beautiful, redhead
    who likes guns, 'cause I state the obvious!)

  10. "Hot Chick" enchiladas, I get it. I've used your brand of Sriarchi in Pho Ga, Thai chicken soup in a little restaurant in Seattle. It supplies good heat and flavor.

  11. Those look great. Have to try and make them next weekend. You mentioned pierogis. Do you have any recipes for them? I use to work in the south suburbs of Chicago where there was an abundance of polish delicacies readily available. I do miss the pierogis. Take care, and thanks for making me hungry again.Have to wipe drool off keyboard.

  12. That does look really tasty but, I have a feeling my 4 stomach ulcers would m=not like it much.

    Whitetail Woods™
    Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

  13. Go to any Vietnamese phở joint in Houston and you'll find bottles of the "fancy ketchup" at every table. It's good stuff.

  14. Do you think it might be good on corn on the cob? Might be something I need to try!


  15. Just the thing to enjoy on a cold day, particularly after rescuing the dog from the tub...


  16. RichD - I've not made them from scratch though I make a perogi casserole that involves layers of loaded mashed potatoes and lasagna noodles and cheese. I never saw them until I was on a business trip in Ohio.

    Guffaw in AZ - welcome. I I'm just the girl next door. I'm just better armed.

    LCScoty - oh, THAT looks interesting.

    Riverwalker - I think it's good on about anything except ice cream.

    Jim - heh! If there is a body of water, he WILL jump in it.

  17. "Around the glove"? Really?

    Wikipedia on ketchup/catsup:
    "By the early 18th century, the table sauce had made it to the Malay states (present day Malaysia), where it was discovered by British explorers, and by 1740, it had become an English staple.
    Although today's ketchup is tomato based, it did not appear until about a century after other types. By 1801, a recipe for tomato ketchup was created by Sandy Addison..."

    ISTR that a walnut based ketchup was popular at one time; visiting rebuilt (US) frontier forts, the mess hall always had bottles of malt vinegar on them, as a popular condiment that held up well to the (for example) Texas climate.

  18. Nothing at all wrong with "Glorified Ketchup." Ketchup deserves it's own bit of glory, the American Middle class was founded on it after all. Love the sriracha sauce!

  19. Sriachi, eh? I'm going to have to give it a try.

    I'm pretty partial to Frank's.....seem to use it on most everything.

    Gotta love chicken Enchiladas.


  20. We had that hot sauce on *every* table in the mess hall of the ship I worked on.
    The Fillipino guys would dump it on their food like I'd use salt and pepper.
    Not that the food was bad on the ship, but they just loved it.
    Some of the guys who came down from Washington state would bring their own personal brand of hot sauce, and some of that stuff would eat through the deck plates like the blood from the creature in "Alien" if you spilled it!
    I've _NEVER_ tasted hot sauce so strong that just a tiny bit on a toothpick numbed my mouth and made me break out in a sweat.
    I just can't see the "enjoyment" in using it.

  21. The enchiladas look great! I'm bummed that I just ate a frozen microwavable chicken chimichanga, that had a bone in it. :P

    When the label on a mass produced food label says '... parts', it's usually a good indication that some undesirable 'parts' may be included therein, lol...

    Homemade/homecooked food FTW!

  22. Why you gotta be talking all this yummy food when I can't get to the grocery store easily? That looks so GOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!!

    It's also breakfast time and I'm hungry. So is Murphy--he's staring at me with his "Feed me, Seymour!" look.

    And here you go with tasty-looking chicken things. Big sigh.

  23. I love Sriracha! I am interested to see what condiment the "Thai Ketchup" contingent says would be better in place of Sriracha?

    Or are they just saying that it is used to cover up bland food?

  24. I like *small* drops of Daddies Favourite on various meats, and use of the stuff is considered gauche even in its native land.

    My favorite way to use Daddies is on IKEA meatballs -- double declasse!

    Ketchup originated in SE Asia and made its way to Europe. Mrs. Roscoe is fond of similar Chinese sauces.

  25. I made these enchiladas last night. Delicioso! I loved how the sriarchi based sauce contrasted with the smooth creamy sauce. I made it a bit mellow with half the sriarchi and the little lady and her gringo lips even thought they were great.

  26. MaineMapleLynne, MaineMapleSamantha and I had this for supper tonight and it was Da Bomb!!!!!!!

    2 words.

    1: Awe.
    2: Some.

    Nice! The only change we made was to use two (2) day-old supermarket rotisserie chickens, saved $2 that way, and there was a mix of dark and white meat. Pick the skin and bones off, mostly de-fatted, good to go. Upped everything else by half, and it rocked!!!

    Ding Dongs for Adults next weekend..................oh,m and there's a gun show coming up soon which I intend to not leave empty-handed...................


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..