Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making Whoopie in Hoosierville

Whoopie Pies

The whoopie pie is a dessert that is not quite cookie, not quite cake, It is made of two round mound-shaped pieces of cake (sometimes chocolate, sometimes pumpkin) with a sweet, creamy filling or frosting sandwiched between them.

Considered by many to be a Pennsylvania Amish tradition, likely made up from leftover cake batter, they are popping up all over the states, including a humble kitchen in Hoosierville, U.S.A.



The more traditional filling is laden with marshmallow fluff, making for a denser, very sweet treat. I made mine with two different cakes and two different fillings.

The first, pictured in the header, is Red Velvet with a vanilla bean whipped cream infused cream cheese filling.


The second, dark chocolate, made with some Scharffen Berger cocoa. That's a specialty deep dark chocolate cocoa that Midwest Chick makes her secret family recipe gun show brownie cookies with.

The filling for the dark chocolate pie as a very light, exceptionally creamy filling with a base of whipped cream and vanilla sugar.

As I listen to the sounds of some old jazz and blues from the 20's and 30's, I layer them carefully between sheets of waxed paper to deliver to some folks on LEO duty this weekend (with a couple saved for a friend). I've not tried one yet, but if the smell in the kitchen and the little puddle of Barkley drool on the tile is any indication, they will be good.

15 comments:

  1. Uh, MMMmmmmmmm.

    Did I mention MMMmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One look at those and my glucose went up 40 points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in New England, we called ours Devil Dogs...my mom used to make them this time of year, and she made hers with the marshmellow fluff based filling.

    I tried making them earlier in the year from a recipe I found online...the filling came out okay, but my attempt at the 'cakes' not even close...my mom's had much more rise than mine did.

    Haven't tried a 'red velvet' version yet..my wife might like those more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. greg - you'll get more of a "rise" out of the recipe that has all dutch process cocoa in them. The dark chocolate ones I made, with half non dutch process cocoa, were thinner, but the taste was very very clean and deep chocolatey. Yum (or as North said MMMmmmmmm)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barkley's not the only one drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never even heard of whoopee pies until a year and a half ago when I visited lancaster county. Now I guess I'll have to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boarding school guardians were from Texas and she introduced me to Whoopie Pies way back then...they're still my favorite! Using a scoop and a silpat certainly make it easier now that they're my kiddos' favorites as well. Though we used to enjoy matching up same size cookies and the last few were always loaded with icing because we'd make sure we had enough to go around and left over icing just wasn't right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMMMMmmmm, drool, MMMmmmm,drool!

    Oh man, what a memory. I use to stuff my face with these, back in Arkansas, when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is I guess I have a dirty mind. Looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't bake often, but I'm gonna' make some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE whoopie pies! Growing up near an Amish community, I got to experience these before whoopie pies made the big time;). Right now my latest addiction is pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can even now buy special baking trays for making the cakes. Saw them at the Gourmet Warehouse yesterday and had no idea what a "Whoopie Pie" was. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the Whoopie Pie. Who knew that such a treat could become so political!

    A HUGE rivalry between Maine and Pennsylvania, claims of origin and biggest:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopie_pie

    And, the Official State treat (http://bangordailynews.com/2011/03/23/politics/maine-house-votes-for-whoopie-pie-as-state-treat-blueberry-pie-as-state-dessert/)

    Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having spent multiple years just this side of Lancaster County, PA - I am very familiar with the Whoopie Pie.

    I remember going to a large farmer's market / flea market in PA - wandering around with my sister, she and I eating freshly baked Whoopie Pies just purchased from the Amish ladies who manned the bakery booths.

    Ah, the days when I could eat what I want...

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.