Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Annie Get Your . . . .




GUN EMPANADASI'm still on desk duty for at least another month, post "blown out knee" repair. I know that means my team is working extra hard. I can run command central with a phone, but I'm used to being OUT there, directing things, pulling my weight. To let them know I appreciate it, I showed up with a large warm container of these for those who had morning duty (do not ask what time the alarm was set for). They were intended to be reheated for lunch. They were gone before the sun was hardly up,.

Sweet and Spicy Empanadas (double or triple the recipe if needed, heats up well in a crockpot after frying the beef and veggies).

1 to 1.2 pounds ground beef
1 sweet onion chopped finely
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot (I julienned and then chopped)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sherry (alcohol will cook out, you'll just get flavor)
1 Tablespoon wild honey
1 Tsbp balsamic vinegar (I used a 20 year old one aged in bourbon barrels)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 or 2 drops Scoville Brothers Rockin Red hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
dash of salt and pepper
3-4 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed and unfolded


Preheat oven to 375 F. (about 200C.). In a hot skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Once done, drain excess fat and set aside. In same pan (which should still have a little fat adhering to it) cook onions and carrots in a splash of olive oil until onions are golden brown and caramelized, being careful not to burn. Add just enough olive oil to keep from sticking. When done, add beef mixture back in. Add in sherry and garlic (I didn't measure the garlic, but 3-4 cloves) and cook until sherry has evaporated.

Add in honey, vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, dark cocoa powder, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook till the sauce is thickened and there is hardly any liquid, but it's not dried out.

(Yes, you can click to enlarge the photos). Roll out thawed puff pastry, cut into 4 inch circles (I used a drinking glass to cut them out). Place a heaping tablespoon of beef mixture onto pastry. Fold in half and press sides well with a clean and dry fork to crimp and seal.

Pierce top of the pastry once with fork. If you wish, brush with an egg wash (1 egg beaten with a splash of milk). I didn't, only in that I was out of eggs, but they were still great, just not as glossy. Bake for 15-20 minutes till golden brown.

19 comments:

  1. Flaky. Those look flaky.

    Kinda like the guy that comments here. Looks a bit like me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate half of one, trying to be good, but they disappeared FAST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I ate half of one, trying to be good"

    Does that make you half good or half naughty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen them that way, down here in north Mexico they're always fruit filled. Those you made look good : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful, and I will have to try making some to share with G when he is visiting. I am wondering if they would freeze well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've known you since you were just a pup. Over 20 years.

    There's a reason these guys would take a bullet for you. It's not your cooking.

    You look after your people. You work harder than any of them, without being obvious about it. You remember why you are all doing it, even if you could make a third more money doing it for someone else.

    From an old retired Squirrel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. Empanadas rock and those look especially rockin'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought was "Pirogi". My second thought was "Yeah, only tasty!"

    ;-)

    Puff Pastry is a little known marvel, and an example of where the industrial Food Industry has given us an industrial product so much better than what I can make at home - at an unbeatable price - that it makes you proud to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brigid,
    I have been looking for a good empanada recipe and this looks fabulous! Years ago I had a friend who made them and she would soak raisins in the sherry & add them to the mixture....delicious! My husband is going to try your recipe this weekend & he is going to add the raisins. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks, again, for the fabulous recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AARRGGH!
    You're killin' me!
    (even with the reverse 911 call!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning Brigid,

    Your Friend Borepatch left a comment on one of my posts last night. He seems to think you would enjoy my header picture :)

    Regards,

    John

    http://theferalirishman.blogspot.com/2012/02/do-you-feel-demoralizedwatch-this-video.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst more for righteousness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look yummy.

    However, I have to know what kind of drinking glasses you have. They must be huge! If the opening of the drinking glass is 4" in diameter, that is one humongous glass. Perhaps you used a "Big Gulp" container?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How is it possible that you do you not weight 300 pounds? If you do weight 300 pounds I would like to know what kind of lens you are using and where I can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Borepatch - I'm surprised I really didn't play with it before now. It's pretty handy.

    Carol - not sure how the raisins would work with this combination of seasoning, but let me know.

    John - I didn't see his comment. Hmmm. There's something about the hairdo. . . .:-)

    Dick - I didn't measure, just eyeballed it, but it's a goblet. Probably 3-4 inches.

    Professor - There's a reason I make this stuff for friends. I have no desire to look like a bag of antlers, but I've still got a pilot's medical to pass :-) I only cook goodies when I'm entertaining or making food for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting name. We call them curry puff (Veggie or chicken) over this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brigid,
    The raisins worked great....not needed... but added a nice touch! I LOVE this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.