Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Is It Soup Yet??

Sometimes the Irish can save civilization. Sometimes it's all they can do to rustle up dinner.

Technically, I'm a mixture of Scot/Irish, Scandahoovian and Cree, but it's hard to tell with the green eyes, red hair and freckles. In any case, I draw from my Warrior Farmer roots in a lot of my cooking with good, meaty stews, soups and breads often on the winter menu.

It was a good night for it as I was pretty tired. I stayed up way too late last night (for my schedule) catching up with a friend who had been away for a while. Today dawned way too early.

Still, duty calls, reports to write.

Probie comes over, a puzzled luck on his face, looking at a document I'd just finished.

"uh, doc. . . WHAT'S RIGOR MORRIS?"

I look up straightfaced (Typo? Me??") . . "DEAD CAT FOUND AT THE SCENE."

It was just one of those days, So I was glad to get home for something nourishing. Tonight, no guns, no glory, just some really good leftover soup and some fresh baked bread. To make - caramelise a large diced onion in a pan with a splash of olive oil, add 4 ribs of chopped celery and about six sliced carrots and cook for a couple of minutes. Put in a crockpot with 1 and 1/2 lbs smoked ham hocks, a pound of uncooked and rinsed white beans, 2 quarts fresh chicken stock, a pinch of rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper,a large clove of garlic cut crosswise, a dash of hot sauce (I like Heavy Metal Heat by the Scoville Bros.), 1/4 teaspoon wild honey and 12 sprigs of fresh thyme, plus a couple dashes of salt (to taste). Cook on high for 4-5 hours, until beans are done, remove any stems of thyme, squeeze garlic to remove pulp, discarding the skins and stir into soup. Remove hocks and shred meat. Take a 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and pulse in a blender and stir back in with ham hocks.


With that, some quick bread.


Cheddar Peppered Biscuit Bites. Full of the bite of fresh cracked pepper and sharp cheese, they're baked in little triangles for little bite size bits of crunch with a soft, yeasty center.

Serve warm with butter , the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of old fashioned soup, stew, or even chili.


For now, enjoy the comforts of home. Tomorrow, a little firearm post - refinishing old blue.


13 comments:

  1. Nice recipe! I might have to try it!

    So I am looking forward to your project with the Sig. If you are successful will it loose character and become a thing of beauty? Or will the character become even more pronounced with it reacquiring new beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wonder why I stop by here, when the post is about food. I have to wipe the keyboard off and clean the drool off me chin. Argh, enjoy a hearty one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of the better books by Cahill. he really went off the rails later but this one and Sailing The Wine Dark Sea were his best.

    mmmmm....soup.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner here was split pea soup; it is the perfect thing for a dark and snowy night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those biscuit bites look good - but then, we've never had a bad experience with any of your recipes.

    Dead cat ... /snort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They need that line in an NCIS episode. Soup looks great, I just ate and now I'm hungry again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keads - the sig is currently all 'shiny". But the first time I did a little blueing I took notes for a short post. Figured people might like to see it (or at least tell me if I did it right)

    Critter - this is the only one of his I've read. Thanks for the heads up.

    Island Bob asked about Tillimook Cheese in Indiana - the Marsh stores often carry it. Just the cheddar cheese. Wish we got the ice cream out here, I always have to go for some Marionberryy Pie ice cream at Dads, though I've learned to make my own in the summers with Lingongerries and vanilla that's not too bad for summer gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm waiting for my oatmeal to be ready but that soup recipe really caught my interest! I'm going to try this one. I like homemade soup too, the kind you just throw a lot of "good-for-you-food" in the pot and let it simmer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B-
    Actually looks like my dinner last night, except I swapped in some cornbread (I am Irish by way of south carolina after all).
    I'll go wipe the drool off my chin and warm up some leftovers.
    Glad youre doing better.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.