Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blake's Seven

I have a number of friends who are grew up in the generation before and after mine. You'd not know it from either our activities or our conversations, but there are some TV shows I grew up seeing that the younger ones missed.

One of those is Blakes Seven. Running for a few brief seasons in the end of the 70's, and produced by BBC, it had 10 million viewers in it's prime, with divided camps as to whether it was a silly but entertaining space opera or a heroic poem. It's both.

Yes, it was a decidedly low budget (isn't that the same quarry?) story of a band of outlaws, on the run from their government, striving for justice in space, while battling some hilariously dangerous aliens. The early scrips were stunningly intelligent despite some chincy sets, far more appealing to me, as that age, than the slick offerings of other shows.

So for a quiet day at home with friends, I present a classic (author unknown)

Trust is only dangerous when you have to rely on it.

Reality is a dangerous concept.

I am not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going.

No good deed goes unpunished.It is frequently easier to be honest when you have nothing to lose

Civilization has always depended on courtesy rather than truth.

On Earth it is considered ill-mannered to kill your friends while committing suicide.

The art of leadership is delegation.

All that patience gets you is older.

Regret is part of being alive -- but keep it a small part.

He who trusts can never be betrayed, only mistaken.

Infallibility depends on your point of view.

There are times when even the most cynical must trust in luck.

Heroics seldom run to schedule.The choice is very simple -- either you can fight, or you can die.

In the end, winning is the only safety.

Power usually makes its own rules.

It is not necessary to become irrational in order to prove that one cares; indeed, it is not necessary to prove it at all.

While there's life, there's threat.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Strategic withdrawal is running away, but with dignity.

Idealism is a wonderful thing; all you really need is someone rational to put it to proper use.

Nobody is indispensable.

Everyone's entitled to one really bad mistake.

In the end, your word is all there is, really.There are other rules, but you'll find out what those are when you break them


  1. "Power usually makes its own rules."

    Not just from a TV show - sounds more like Lao Tse...


  2. Joss Whedon must have been taking notes.

  3. That's a show I missed on the Beeb...your post is the first I've heard of it. Odd, as I grew up watching BBC shows on PBS with my dad.

    (On the Buses, Doctor in the House, Dr. Who (#4&5 Dr's), Benny Hill..)

  4. "your word is all there is, really" THAT is what it all boils down to... Thanks!

  5. Thanks to the success of the revived "Doctor Who", talk of a rebooted "Blakes 7" is once again filling the Internet fan sites.

    I doubt the problem would be money as much as finding showrunners equal in talent to those who have been in charge of "Doctor Who" for the last six seasons.


  6. And nearly all these quotes come from Avon, who was most definitely not expendable. And yes, Joss Whedon has admitted several times he was taking notes....

  7. "In the end, your word is all there is, really."

    That one is painfully true. You can say your sorry, but it is never really expunged from the record. Thank the Lord for forgiveness: That at least can recant some of the price.

    After that, all you can do is continue "Onward and Upward".

  8. armedlaughing - sounds very much like some of that. .

    Rev Paul - indeed

    Monkeywrangler - I am not sure if it's out there on old BBC classics or on the web, I've not seen it in a while, but worth searching for.

    RapidAlien - I waved at you all as I flew over. Hope all is well there.

    OldNFO - so very, very true. Not sure if I'll have any food postings from out there. I did get a Swedish cookbook for a friend and it had 10 different recipes for meatballs.

    Roscoe - I am still enjoying the Doctor Who CD you sent.

    Freyalyn - welcome! I found the quotes on the web and wasn't sure who all said them. Thanks. Avon is indeed not replacable.

    Cond0010 - some people hold petty grudges like third graders. All you can do is say, with sincerity, I'm sorry. If they don't accept it, the loss is theirs, not yours.

  9. During that time period I was working 15:30 to 00:30, so I missed most of the TV shows of the late seventies and early eighties.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..