Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Goodbye Schmoo

Schmoo, the wonderful Labrador retriever who was part of  Midwest Chick  and Mr. B. 's family is gone, after a valiant fight with lymphoma.  Saying goodbye to her this weekend was hard, remembering her is easy.

Would we all be like the dog, our pain hidden deep inside
where unkind thoughts and fear and loss are buried with our pride
With someone - stalwart friend, kind soul,
who shows us wrong from right
with rebuke soft, a gentle hand,
unfair judgment far from sight.
Would we know that secret place, where playful thoughts abide,
waiting only for that one true friend, in whom we can confide
- Brigid

Please go on over and offer your support as they grasp this loss. 

Goodbye Schmoo.  You were family and are greatly missed.

Brigid and Barkley


  1. I understand. I lost my four legged travel partner two years ago.

    She is still missed.


  2. Oh no....poor MWC & MrB.
    I will send them a copy of the Rainbow Bridge. It might help.


  3. Ah crap.

    Losing a pet, a furry member of the family, sucks almost as much, sometimes more than, losing a two-legged member.

    My condolences to MC and Mr. B and you and Barkley as well.

  4. So sad to lose a fine friend.

    We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.

  5. Losing a four legged member of family is always hard, but it's the memories that keep us going forward until we also cross the Rainbow Bridge.
    I think it was Mark Twain who said that if dogs weren't allowed in heaven he didn't want to go there either.

  6. Sorry to hear that... our dogs are part of the family too, so we can understand the loss and pain involved...

    Dann in Ohio

  7. So sad to lose a canine family member.

  8. I've had to say good bye for now to way too many in my life and it just never gets easier. The last one was a Pug named Harley that some have said looked a lot like me....man I hope THATS not true! I strive to be 1/10th gentleman he was.

    MW Chick and Mr.B, prayers for all of you tonight at my place.

  9. Aww nuts, it's hard when this happens, guess Ill mosey over to MWC's page and leave condolences :(

  10. Goodbye faithful one , I never had the privilege meeting you. Yet, I feel the pain of the loss of your presence.

    Dogs are a special gift from our creator. Only here for a short while , but love so much and so long.'

    We have lost two dogs in the last years both rescues. We have since adopted two more. They have not replaced the lost ones, but have won a special place in our hearts.

  11. I'm so sorry Brigid. Lu and I went and left them some love. Our thoughts to you as well. The loved ones of our friends and family become ours as well.

  12. Thank you all for your kind wishes. I know they meant a lot to Midwest Chick and Mr. B. I had to go back to work, but I talked to them tonight, and they were very thankful for all the outpouring of love and support.

  13. I aspire to be the Man my Dog thinks I am.

    See ya, Schmoo


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..