Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tractors and Wheel Guns - Childhood Memories

Mom can I go to Thunder Ranch instead of Girl Scout Camp when I get bigger???

Good Lord, I'm probably about 3  here, and what's with the Jack LaLanne plaid jumpsuit?  My family is there in the background with conservative attire (including suspenders), well dressed and keeping a safe distance. "SHE HAS NO GRIP OR MUZZLE CONTROL - STAY BACK"

If you are  reading this, I've rolled in from the Tri State Tractor and Engine Fest after a long weekend, making it back to  town in time to pick up Barkley at the doggie day camp before they closed. (All my friends who normally watch him were either at the Gas Engine Fest or the  IND Gun Show).

It was a great weekend.  Mr. B. made the drive down, though Midwest Chick had to work and couldn't make it (we missed you).  His company and knowledge of historical machinery always makes for a great addition to the group. The camera got passed around, so there were lots of shots.

As it was last year, it was quite hot, (definitely t shirt and denim shorts weather) and the crowd was big, the event, the largest of its kind in the country.  This year, Mr. B. brought walkie talkies, so we didn't get separated. (you have to watch it, one minute you've got a redhead in the group, the next you hear "mmm, SNO CONE . . .  and she disappears).



We had some fun with the walkie talkies especially after we figured several others were using the same frequency.

"The subject is in sight.  Team Six, go to the left."

"We'll do the exchange by the 110 pound bucket of lard, make sure the bills are unmarked."

"go left, no really, go left".



There will be photos tomorrow.

 I am  sorry to have missed the IND gun show and the Indy BlogMeet! with Tam and Roberta X  and the rest of the Indy gang. But the Tri State show is just too much fun to miss, especially when it's just once a year.

A day of steam, machinery, tractors and antique fire engines, all  those little things that take you back to your childhood and days gone by. Good days.  Good people.

16 comments:

  1. Heh. Yeah...walkies tuned in on someone else's channel can be quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what was going on. I was heading home from the Indy gun show yesterday and saw something huge going on but wasn't sure what. I will have to keep that in mind for next year. I would have headed up there today had I have known what it was. Take care and hopefully see you at the next gun show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you paid the $5 bail for Sugar Pops Pete.

    He was framed.


    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. RichD - last year I went up Friday (I had hilton points to use to get a free hotel in Muncie). On the drive up I saw lots of trackers on trailers.

    You are more than welcome to join us next year. I usually make enough tailgate food for a crowd.


    Mrs. S. - it was BIG fun, but boy I'm tired. . :-)

    RabidAlien - we had some fun with that.

    Nite all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A number of years ago back in KS, my husband and I used to go to the gun shows in the area and use our 2m HT's (both are licensed ham ops)with the earbud/mic. I lost count of the number of times local folks thought we were Federales....it was funny.
    Vic303

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lard and Sugar Pops cereal.

    Ah, the good old days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, you guys are so much fun, one of these days (yeah I say that all the time) one of these days Im going to make it out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woulda been funnier if the shortening had been named ANFO...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a LOT of fun. Haven't been to a tractor show in 20 years ... now I'm missing it. Glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got the really cheap walkie-talkies. The "a little more expensive" ones have a way to put a sub-audible coded tone onto the carrier frequency (CTCSS) so that only the people who know which of the CTCSS codes you are using can participate.

    BTW, have you looked into ham radio? The advantage there is that a ham radio H/T (handie-talkie) can have a LOT more power (typically 5 W, as opposed to probably 0.1 W for the one you have pictured there) and thus more range, and a lot more features.

    I'll bet you could study up and get a Technician ham license in 30 days.

    73
    W9RWF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure wish I'd known you were coming to the show, I'd have bought your lunch. Look me up next year, we're almost always in the same location: about 150' south and a bit west of the log cabin, about 100' mostly east and a bit south of the helicopter. Look for the white canopy with a half-dozen model hit 'n miss engines under it. That's me and my buddy, we built the engines together. We're with the ATIS group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim - I'm not sure I got over by the log cabin, I know Mr. B. did, but I'd made a run to the ladies room as they went over there and may have missed you.

    Redhead in pink and lavender and white little shirt and ballcap.

    Next year I will stop by and say hello, promise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. RonF- they weren't my walkie talkies, one of the group had them and figured they'd come in handy.

    Severa in our blog group are ham radio operators, thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first picture is about as cute as anything I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Borepatch - my dad is cleaning out stuff, figuring the house will be sold in the not too distant future. He sent some photos, some really embarrassing grade school writings "My Poetry" which should have been titled "My really BAD poetry, but it rhymes!"

    There were a couple of battered, well loved stuffed animals and such things. It's really been fun to look through.

    I'm glad the photo was not in color, I'm really afraid the jumpsuit was pink.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.