Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Grill Next Door

There's more to your grill than meat.  Over the last couple of summers, I've grilled an assortment of veggies as well as peaches and pineapple to serve alongside pork or over ice cream (and if you drizzle a little rum on the pineapple before serving you'll be sure to hear at least one happy "Arghhhh" from your family or guests).

But some items are just staples for grilling..  Corn. Sure you can cook it on the stove, in a cooler or in a microwave but grilling is awesome.  The corn this year is not so good, so I was looking for something to make it both moist and flavorful and saw an idea in Better Home and Gardens (one of the few magazines I enjoy).  It involved basting the corn during grilling with a salad dressing based sauce.

Liking the concept but not being too keen on the whole Miracle Whip on corn thing, I used a mixture of butter, mayo, sour cream, fresh lime, hot sauce, peppers and cilantro.  Now we're talking.


Serves 2-3, double or triple as needed.

3 large ears of corn (cut into halves or thirds)
1 Tablespoon dried cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons  Penzey's Ancho or Adobo seasoning
1 heaping teaspoon lime zest
1/ 8 teaspoon cayenne
dash or two of hot sauce (my favorite is Scoville Bros. Singing Smoke)
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 Tablespoon Mayo
1 Tablespoon sour cream
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice (and that does not come out of little green plastic limes)

Clean corn, removing husks and soak in water for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl mix cilantro, pepper seasonings, and lime zest.  In a BIG bowl whisk butter, hot sauce, mayo, sour cream and lime juice and set aside. Drain and dry corn and  cook on covered grill for 15-20 minutes until done, turning and basting with the butter cream mixture every five minutes.

Remove corn and toss with remaining butter/cream sauce in the bowl, sprinkle with the chili/zest mixture and serve immediately.  Excellent with chicken or a big piece of grilled Salmon.

13 comments:

  1. Yum! But I'll pass on the cilantro... I'm getting tired of getting that in EVERY dish. Ironically, in real Mexican food, you never see cilatro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also cook corn with the outer layer left on.

    Just soak in water for an hour or so to get them fully rehyrdrated. The green will turn to various shades of dried out brown as they cook (gotta rotate them on the grill).

    Gives them a bit of a nutty flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a bumper crop of squash here in the garden of the wolfden (OR, unlike mostly everywhere else, has gotten PLENTY of rain). So much so that Im freezing it at a pretty good clip. One of my favorite veggies is to split zuchini and yellow squash lengthwise, brush (or spray, Pam works too) with oil, and season with a little steak seasoning. Grill it on the cooler side of the 'cue, and it gets done the same time as the steak. There may be no finer way to cook these particular veggies. I must say, though, all my efforts to grill tomatoes have thus far failed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had a bumper crop of squash here in the garden of the wolfden (OR, unlike mostly everywhere else, has gotten PLENTY of rain). So much so that Im freezing it at a pretty good clip. One of my favorite veggies is to split zuchini and yellow squash lengthwise, brush (or spray, Pam works too) with oil, and season with a little steak seasoning. Grill it on the cooler side of the 'cue, and it gets done the same time as the steak. There may be no finer way to cook these particular veggies. I must say, though, all my efforts to grill tomatoes have thus far failed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, tasty. I like to grill my zuchini, right next to the steak. A little oil, the some steak seasoning. There may be no finer way to cook them. We have a bumper crop so far, as OR got all the rain that was missing elsewhere. Also, +1 on grilling in the husk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grilled corn is a staple in our house. I'll have to try your baste, it sounds great.
    I've been grilling sweet potatoes for a few years but this week I grilled some beets with them and made a salad. Slice 1/2" thick, marinade in some garlic and lime infused EVOO and a good white balsamic for 30 minutes then put them straight on the grill, 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until they are soft. Cool in the fridgel, then cut them into cubes. Mix with a good soft cheese, I like a good chèvre, add a little more EVOO, sprinkle with pine nuts, thinly sliced shallots, pine nuts and a little salt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the "husk-on" grilling as well.

    Haven't tried drizzling rum on them. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old NFO - I don't think I said this was Mexican, more of a barstardized southwest concoction. As creative as you are I bet you could think of some others. Perhaps orange juice instead of the lime, basil instead of the Chilantro and Italian herbs and ground white pepper instead of the other.

    Salmon, we cooked skin side down on a bunch of bacon (that keeps the skin from drying out and lends a smokey taste), topped with lemon, onion and a little seasoning and a few drops of teriyaki sauce. Brothers speciality.

    John from Toronto - welcome! I will try that, sounds yummy!

    Wolfman - I remember years where we had so much squash, Dad was putting it in bags, leaving it on someone's porch, ringing the doorbell and running!

    Engineer - I'm definately going to try that.

    Not sure what is on the menu tonight. I'm the only one awake (still on East Coast Time). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salmon is one of my all time favorite foods. I don't like to do much to it beyond sticking it on a cedar plank, little S&P and maybe some dill.

    Yours looks delic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clearly, I must get more sleep, because I read "miracle whip," and thought "cool whip," and I was about to extol the evils of Cool Whip and the marvelous wonder that is homemade whipped cream.

    I know. I need help. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. agirl - this way is incredible, big bro always makes it when I come out to visit, we usually have a big piece of salmon or steelhead in the freezer.

    Antie J - there's a dessert at the local Irish Pub chain known as a Galway Hooker (always funny, when one orders, especially if asking for it "to go"). It's a slice of flourless chocolate tort, and a small white chocolate creme brulee but my favorite part, is the big mound of homemade whipped cream between the two of them. I can just eat that and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. B,
    WRT cooking and seasoning corn on the cob:
    I love it, but find it tedious seasoning ot on my plate with butter, salt, pepper, Tobasco, etc.

    Therefore, my favotite is Cajun style- when the crawfish are done boiling, they are removed from their seasoned boil(Zatarains, butter, Tobasco, and each cooks personal secret additives) and the corn ear (cut in half) are popped into the boiling water. When the corn is done, all is served with plenty of cold beverage to cool the tastebuds and the corn is all seasoned and ready to eat. For large groups, the cobs can remain in the simmering boil pot to stay hot for second and third servings.
    CRS

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..