Friday, September 7, 2012

Aviators - You Know Who You Are

Definitions:

Pilots: People who drive airplanes.

Naval Aviators: Cold, steely eyed, weapons systems managers who kill bad people and break things. However, they can also be very charming and personable. The average Naval Aviator, despite sometimes having a swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don’t involve anyone else.


To my favorite Naval Aviators -

 Pickle, Pause, Pull

or Pickle, Pull, Pause (oops).

 It's always good to talk to you and when I get a chance to see you in person again, it's even better.

And thank you for never once saying "I told you so" regarding that Air Force model that left some scars.


We catch up on hobbies, on kids, on who is working where now.  We talk of old careers and new careers and how no one wanted to tell the guy who scheduled that tabletop not involving ground based folks that "Practical Exercise Not Involving Soldiers" does not make the best acyonym.  We talked of lost loves and new loves and who has left us.  But as we raise our glasses to toast those airmen Gone West, to Lex, to others we respected, we realize that those that left us, did so doing exactly what they loved, despite the cost.
It may be years before we meet again in person. But I know that in this instant, this moment, nothing else matters but shared stories of our past, a simple toast, to loved ones gone or simply far away. This is true friendship, something you can never buy, like the heat of a candle that warms me from the inside out.

Like my favorite NFO, you two are for always being there for me, listening through the bad times and helping me celebrate in the good times. I love you guys. You were, and are, a shining  example of what being a patriot and an airman can be.

Cheers.
B.

16 comments:

  1. Greetings from Afghanistan -

    As a SEABEE, I always was far from my Navy Fly Guys unless we saw one overhead.

    Back at the beginning of my Navy Career, I was originally assigned to US Naval Air squadron at South Weymouth Naval Air Station in Massachusetts. It was a smaller and well run airbase.

    I wound up on the ground in Bahrain during Iraqi Freedom 1handling cargo many years later when a C-130 came in with the name of " City of Worcester". Come to find out the Crew Chief & I had served together 7 years prior. It is a small Navy after all.

    I wear a MIA Bracelet with the name of CAPT. Michael Scott Spiecher, US NAVY on it, as he was the only MIA from the Gulf War. His remains were found a few years ago and now the bracelet is a KIA braclet.

    Bravo Zulu to my Navy Aviation Brothers and Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you tell if someone is a Navel Aviator?

    Don't worry, they'll tell you.


    Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
    Great post as usual.
    You'll always miss the life, or parts of it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middleboro - did you get your care package? It was pretty large, full of all kinds of food and CD's and such. I sent one to my friend JR, also in Afghanistan, the same day from the same Post Office and he didn't get his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'll let this one slide. There are other "aviators" and there are also brother Fighter Pilots along with all of those boat guys.

    "A toast to the host..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed - as always, you are a class act. My brothers are all Navy, I'm a bit prejudiced. :-)

    And yes, there are many aviators, and the ground crews that support them, all the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brigid, thanks for stopping by and commenting on ATC. I love your writing, and writing skills. I tend to fail miserably in that area. I was once told,"If you get the point across, then you've done what you set out to do". I dropped your blog off my roll one day(can't remember why) and I had 5 comments that day asking me to put the link back up. I did, and it has been there ever since. Keep up the good work and thanks again for stopping by my place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great to see you! (though it's certainly not fair that you don't seem to age and we got all bald and old).

    It's great to see you deservedly and finally happy.

    If work doesn't have us cross paths again, we'll make an effort to see you some other time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, c'mon, those feelings do involve someone else - their plane!

    Glad to see you got some time together with your people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. On a Wing - we laughed pretty hard about that one. Good guys, all of us that flew for certain folks years back that crossed paths then, cross paths now. It's good to catch up. I'll know more about my schedule by Friday so hopefully I can plan a visit from you two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Brigid -

    Negative on the care package but that sometimes happens - 20 days until R&R and Mrs. MJ will make sure I get some well deserved down time and cold Guinness.

    Other news, we are adopting 2 new pups from a shelter - Miss Marci & Macey - we lost two of our pups this year and we have room in our hearts and home for new 4-legged kids. I will see them when I get there.

    No worries - once you hand it off to the USPS, it is a crap shoot.

    All my best to you and Sir Barkley

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, another one of us from the past showed up eh??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Navy aviator remark was funny and before you could say "light'm up" it had been linked on the FB Neptunus Lex group page.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some of us who flew back in another day who also salute the memory of Neptunis Lex. A "one of a kind" in a cadre of ones of a kind.
    signpilot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bob Cloud - there was really no one else like him. Thanks for the note, and for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bob Cloud - there was really no one else like him. Thanks for the note, and for your service.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..