Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hounds of the Apocalypse - Prepping for the Pooch


Having good provisions, be it for a disaster or a holiday party is always essential.  We think about the basics, nutrition and water but we don't always think about the other things that make life good, coffee, perhaps a small tin or two of savory or sweet snacks. .  and how about DOG FOOD.  I always keep an extra 40 pound bag stored in a watertight tub plus a few weeks worth of doggie drinking water in gallon jugs that I can use in a pinch, or load in the truck fast if it's not safe to stay in my home. But that's not enough for more than short term for him. 

My dear gal friend Laura B. has a great post up about prepping food for Fido. Be it a natural disaster, or economic hardship, you want to make sure you have rations with a good shelf life to feed all of your family, just just the two legged ones.

Go read and remember, while you are prepping for the zombie apocalypse or just  the holidays, stay safe.

Because Blinky the Snowman Says -

It's all fun and games til someone pokes an eye out.

7 comments:

  1. I remember both Mel Gibson and the dog sharing the same can of dog food in Mad Max. I hope it does not come to that, but have you seen a can of Dinty Moore beef stew lately? Sorta looks the same (I am told *cough* *cough*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the linky love, darlin'!
    I'd have liked to had a video of the process but the gentlemen were not cooperative. Color me surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid 'mumble-mumble' years ago, I loved me Vienna Sausages!
    I'd not had any in probably 35 years, and bought some as a test - for cheap snax and possible prepper fodder.
    OMG! Vile, inedible tubes of mystery meat!
    PS - Keads made me think of this! :-P

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we're prepared for the pups, too. They eat people food and we have it stored for them as we do food for ourselves.

    Sunday greetings from Port Canaveral,
    Lois :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point and remember all the animals that were left behind during Katrina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was unable to get my mother into the "prepper" mindset. She thought it was a good idea, but just couldn't find the time to make a bug-out bag.

    Then I realized that the way to do it was through our dogs. I said, "If we have to evacuate, how will we feed the dogs? We need a bug-out kit with foods and treats and leashes and toys and water bowls and their shot records."

    Worked like a charm! Once she had assembled a BOB for the dogs, it was easy to get her to make one for herself as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years ago I was a kid watching "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" - back when "Carson" was sufficient in casual conversation to identify the above. Johnny and Ed McMahon were holding forth and Bill Cosby was the guest.

    Johnny turned it over to Ed, who did a live commercial for Alpo dog food. He extolled the virtues of the product, opened up the can a put it in the bowl and summoned Fido - by name - to scarf it up and show how delicious it was.

    Except out on all fours, to the consternation of Ed and the wild reaction of the audience, came Bill Cosby, who proceeded to woof down 1/2 the can on live TV. Then the camera switched to Johnny, who was laughing so hard he had to hold onto the desk to keep from falling out of his chair.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.