Friday, November 16, 2012

Saturday Sweets

The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.
Robert Frost

Want to put a smile on someone's face?

Cupcakes work.

Pick your favorite cake recipe (I used a Red Velvet one from the recipe sidebar) but try a new frosting. This tastes like cheesecake,  NOT just "oh it's cream cheese frosting" but cheesecake in all it's glory, just fluffier.  Most bakery cupcakes have 3 inches of frosting on them, I've even loaded mine up on occassion, but for these, just a bit was used, enough to satisfy without overpowering the complex tastes of the cake.


CHEESECAKE FROSTING

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature and softened

4 cups powdered sugar

2 -  8 ounce blocks ounces cream cheese, softened.  Cut each block into 5-6 pieces.

1 and 3/4 teaspoon Penzey's Mexican Vanilla

A good pinch of Artesanos Himalayan Pink Salt (Artisano's Oils and Spices does ship but use regular salt if you must.  But the Himalayan Pink Salt really pops the flavor on this).

Using a mixer with a clean and dry bowl that's at room temperature, NOT fresh out of the dishwasher, beat the butter and sugar on medium/high until fluffy, at least two minutes. Slowly feed in the  individual cream cheese pieces, beating until incorporated (about 35 - 40 seconds), scraping down the sides of the bowl as you beat it.  Then quickly beat in the Mexican vanilla and the salt.  This frosting freezes  quite well.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, they look delicious! Best I can do is whip out a pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a daughter here who says, "Oooh, Brigid & me in the kitchen, making cupcakes. That would be wicked!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would whine about the food pron, but, was out at some old dudes party.
    (it want well)
    Talk to you soon!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get my Himalayan Salt from here:

    http://www.saltworks.us/

    It is the only salt I use anymore.

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such a strong urge to reach into the computer screen and pull one out to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been enjoying your blog for the last several months. A while back you posted a recipe for cayenne honey roasted almonds, I wrote it down since my printer was hosed but i've misplaced it. I checked your recipe list but i don't see it, can you provide the link to that post, my wife is craving another batch. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaos - here is a link to the post with the recipe for the nuts.

    http://mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/2012/09/lab-experiments.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture just raised my blood sugar to dangerous levels...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you mucho!!! We are going to try this with some walnuts this time.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.