Saturday, November 3, 2012

Weekend Brunch - Stuff and Puff


I rarely eat packaged food, but with a couple days that became extra long with no break to cook, I grabbed one of the frozen meals I had stored away just for emergency.

I know what I'll get with the average Swanson or Banquet Meal (Barbie sized food) but Stouffer's mac and cheese and lasagna were the only frozen meals my Step Mom would get if she wasn't feeling well and we all enjoyed generous servings of them with a big salad and some garlic toast.

So I thought this would be good, a whole plate of turkey with fluffy stuffing with chunks of celery and onion. I LOVE stuffing.  It looks decent for a frozen dinner and the box was sure big. It's Stouffer's, right?

Wrong.

I think someone's cat threw up on mine, probably after it ate the reconstituted potato flakes mixed with Fresno, California tap water.

That's not going to cut it for Weekend Brunch.


HOTR Stuff and Puff Breakfast Casserole.

Whisk in a bowl.

5 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

In a pan, saute until warm, a couple of cups of cooked ham with a couple teaspoons of butter and about 1and 1/2 teaspoons of Penzey's Ozark seasoning (or or favorite blended seasoning such as Old Bay).


Chop two cups of of diced veggies (I used chopped frozen broccoli which I nuked just long enough to thaw and a Tablespoon of finely chopped leftover fresh red pepper.)

Mix ham with veggies and egg/milk mixture. Stir in (straight from the box)

1 box Sage "stove top" style stuffing mix.

Stir  in 1/2 to 3/4 cups white cheddar. Bake at 375 in deep casserole dish for one hour covered . Remove lid, sprinkle with about another half cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.

I've made it as well with sausage, mushrooms and onion, cornbread stuffing and smoked cheddar.

Pair it with some Popovers.   If you've never had a popover, you will want to go out and buy your own deep pan to make them once you do.  Hollowed from the steam that makes them rise so tall, they are crisp/tender on the outside and soft and eggy on the inside.  They are a treat.  Pair one of those with your casserole and some fruit you have a brunch that is not only filling, it's recognizable as actual food. (You'd think I'd know better to buy something in a box that wasn't ammo).

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I've never tried putting sour cream in my scrambled egg mix...milk yes, but not sour cream. We also do a fair number of egg caseroles and quiches around here, and never once did I think of dumping stuffing mix into it...and we have a TON of stuffing mixes in the cabinet that we bought last year on sale.

    This one has moved to the head of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Breakfast for Dinner" is a pretty common theme around here when no one feels like cooking.

    Usually not so involved as this whole egg casserole thing. We just fry up some corned beef hash until crispy, then break some eggs over it and cover and simmer til done.
    Serve it on a slab of toast, with a cold beer on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmmm.......

    I do believe that it is time for breakfast!

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
  4. So often when I see your posts about food I pass on by for I tend to drool and cleaning the keyboard is a pain. So later I stop by after the drool has subsided and I can pause to savor the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol...a long time ago I knew someone who went to work at Swanson frozen food plant...they were allowed to bring home as many frozen dinners as they needed / wanted. He thought that was going to be a good perk...after two weeks he no longer brought home ANY of the frozen dinners..the same as everyone who worked there. I can imagine it would only be worse now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home again, home again . . . .

    I suspect the meal we shared was a bit more tastey than your Stoffers!!!

    Til next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Stouffer's Lasagna. I don't know why, but I do.

    Your meal does look better though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen better lookin' stuff in MRE's than you got out of that Stouffer's box...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popovers. Oh. Yes. And nothing simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agirlandhergun - I like their lasanga as well. But this. ughhhh.

    BobG - I learned my lesson. PB & J on those 20 hour days before I do THAT again.

    E. says hello and laughed very hard at your comment.

    mikelaforge - I hadn't made any in a while and the first and second batch I made didn't hardly rise. It was old flour. I was amazed by the difference it made. I've got two friends hooked on them now and they can be whipped up in 5 minutes and baked in a little more than 30. We also like them split open with Irish stew poured on top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brigid, my work, like yours, pulls me out of bed at all hours, sometimes loading a ship has had me on site for 90 hours straight without a shower or change of clothes, subsisting on black coffee and cold soup straight from the can. Like you, I keep emergency frozen food on hand. I have found Hungry Man to be the most palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stouffers Lasagna is about the only frozen dinner I will eat. The rest... bleech

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.