Thursday, December 6, 2012

I Just Come Here for the Bacon

The weeks before Christmas. There's shopping in the big city.

I'm sorry, but  inflatable naked Santa in the tub is just WRONG.

Sorry Barkley, you barf with just one rawhide treat but you'll get some nice homemade peanut butter biscuits under the tree.


Then there are the usual traditions - Santa at the PUB?


Santa and the Mrs. in one room with numerous kiddies, moms and prams, the other room literally wall to wall , standing room only, drunken football fans or revelers of some sort that apparently came in on the train.  With shouts of "shots and beers", the place was so crowded, the skinny blond "elf" couldn't even make her way through with food orders.  It  just shouted out "fire code violation" and we left and drove back home.

But lunch at home can be as good as lunch in any pub.  A sandwich that anyone would approve of. (serves two)

Chicken Salad with Smoked Bacon and Dates
  • 1 cup chicken (cooked *cooled and diced)
  • 4 large packaged dates finely chopped (found in the raisin section of the store)
  • six - seven  pieces smoked bacon cooked and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cups pecans (optional)
  • a pinch of Penzey's Chinese Five Spice Powder (a mix of China cassia cinnamon, star anise, anise seed, ginger and cloves).
*to cook 3-4 chicken breasts for salad or sandwiches that doesn't dry out - cook whole breasts in a oven casserole dish in about 1/4 cup of water seasoned with a couple pinches of  dried  vegetable stock seasoning .Cover tightly with foil and cook at 350 degrees F.  for 35-40 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 F. (a food thermometer is always the way to go). Remove breasts from pan and allow to cool on a plate.

15 comments:

  1. As you know cooking is something I have to work at a lot...sigh
    So I have a question... What spices would you send in the care packages that go to the deployed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the only person who can ruin my "diet" besides me. I do it by opening my mouth and food just flies in. (go figure) You do it subliminally by placing visions of delicious food in my sub-conscious thus creating a wild desire to make and eat said food. Then there is the weight gain that comes from even looking at such absolutely mouthwatering offerings! Have mercy on us, please! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you go through a lot of bacon. If only we lived closer we could help you go through the bacon much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if the rubber ducky is strategically placed?

    (I know - I should be gassed)

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooooo....do you deliver? Its 9:30 in the morning, and now I'm HUNGREEE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at the reaction of the blow-up reindeer, even Rudolph thinks that's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After eating a kosher diet for the last six or seven years, I can tell you that Bacon is the culinary equivalent of a Porsche:

    "There is no substitute."

    --Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of food, did you see my post a couple of weeks ago? It was for you . . .

    http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2012/11/dont-tell-brigid-about-this.html

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear I saw Santa in the tub in one of the old Rankin-Bass specials. Those are definitely the R-B character designs.

    Can I get an inflatable Miss Jessica from "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum... :-) and yeah, that Santa is just WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rev Paul - I'm making venison liver pate tonight, a colleague got a deer and brought over the fresh liver to prepare to share with the others tomorrow.

    Barkley is setting on the floor in a giant puddle of drool from the smells.

    I don't like liver and this stuff is good.

    Brighid - well, I doubt they can bake, so things that can sprinkled on food would be best, cinnamon, types of chili and peppers, vanilla sugar (really good in coffee), that sort of thing.

    gfa - watch out for the Christmas goose!

    MoBro - for every meal like this, there's a very light meal somewhere else.

    Maureen - I agree, Rudolph looks ready to bolt!

    The Lowry Place - next on the news. . . Bacon Shortage is Here!

    Matt - I think to a joke (probably Old NFO's) about an old rabbi and an old priest sitting next to each other on a bus, and the priest asks the rabbi if he ever disobeyed and ate pork and the rabbi said "yes, when I was young, and foolish I ate a ham sandwich". Conversely the rabbi then asks the priest if he ever strayed from the vow of celibacy due to a beautiful woman and the elderly priest said "yes, once when I was young and foolish". To which the rabbi replied "beats a ham sandwich doesn't it?"

    Peter - I finally caught up. That is awesome!

    Roscoe - you'd best ask Mrs. Roscoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe it's just me but over the last few days I am picking up the idea that you are fond of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally! I'm getting that for which I asked!
    Wait, what?

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could get away with Miss Jessica.

    Francesca from R-B's "Mad Monster Party" would be a problem. :)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.