Friday, January 18, 2013

Come to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies

Dark Chocolate and Espresso Gingersnaps 

A family can always disagree on what to have for dinner, but no one ever argues over "want me to make some cookies?" These aren't for the kids, infused with coffee and a bit of chocolate and laden with spice.  Crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, they are perfect alongside of or dunked in a cup of hot coffee or cold glass of milk.
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 Tablespoon  unsweetened dark cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1  heaping teaspoon. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg 
  • 1 Tablespoon finely ground coffee
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, warmed to room
      temperature
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  •  3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup unsulfered molasses 
  • extra sugar for tops of cookies (4-6 Tablespoons)
Preheat oven to 375 F. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg coffee and salt. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, (about 1 and a half to 2 minutes).  Beat in the vanilla, egg and molasses, mixing well. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in thirds,  beating  well until each addition to incorporate the flour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

Using  a spoon create balls of dough a little more than an inch in diameter.  Roll top portion in sugar (I used a mix of Artesano's espresso sugar and regular sugar).  Place on lightly greased pan and press down slightly with a glass dipped in sugar. 

Bake in preheated oven 8-10 minutes for a chewy center cookie (bottom of cookie should just be getting slightly brown) 10-12 for a crisp cookie to dunk in coffee.  Immediately transfer the cookies with a spatula  to a wire rack to cool.  Store in an airtight container.  Makes 3 small cookie sheets full.

13 comments:

RichD said...

Those look great. Going to have to try them this weekend. Currently nibbling on some homemade snickerdoodles. My mom use to make snickerdoodles and gingersnaps at the same time. With four kids and dad eating them as fast as they exited the oven, they didn't last too long. Take care and best wishes to all.

zdogk9 said...

OK!, we're going to try this!

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, my, those look wonderful.

Murphy's Law said...

OK, for those readers of yours who are perusing your blog while at work in a no-cookie environment, posts like this are cruel. Now Ima be hungry for cookies all night!

Old NFO said...

Oh... I've GOT to add these to the list... :-)

Jennifer said...

Yum!

Rev. Paul said...

Ma'am, you are quite a temptress. If ever I regretted being allergic to cocoa, it's now.

Auntie J said...

My husband's boss is a serious coffee-holic. I may have to make these for him!

Brighid said...

These sound really good, next up. I don't know what came over me last night... made a batch of cowcamp cookies. Something is off with my gas oven...took 3 hours to bake 4 batches... I think I have screwed it up by using it for a heater in the bunkhouse...sigh

john bord said...

Oh my, again cleaning drool off the key board..... you are so devastating.

Brigid said...

Rich D - I bet your Mom was a good cook!

zdog9 - as you know me, I don't measure exactly using handfuls of flour and pinches of this and that, but I try and be pretty close in writing it down. This summer, after Bro is done with chemo, we are so coming by and sampling some of your goodies.

Old NFO - they got two thumbs up from family and friend.

Rev Paul - you could replace some of the white sugar with more brown to give it some more depth and you'd not miss the cocoa that much.

Auntie J - if you would like me to pick you up some of the espresso sugar at Artisano's next time I am there, I'd be happy to mail you a pack.

Brighid - I can SO picture that, will call you when I book my next flight West so we can plan on meeting up at Dad's again. If you can leave the bunkhouse for long enough, Dad said you are more than welcome to stay over a day or two.

John Bord - Thanks for the google plus notes, I haven't quite figured them out, as far as responding, but I've enjoyed what you've sent.



idahobob said...

Oh, you naughty woman! Tempting me with these wonderful looking morsels!

Gonna have to try them after finishing the current batch of Coconut Macaroons.

Bob
III

Pink said...

There goes my blood sugar.....