Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cooking with Garand-Ma - Family Recipes

Every family has those recipes that they pass down to future generations.  Some are our own that we have created, others are shared with us. I have a few recipes from my Grandmother as well that I will pass on to my daughter. I hope it's one of many things that I can pass on down to her.

I'm going to be quite busy the next week, so I'm leaving you with this saved recipe, and later this week, info on the new Dragon Leatherworks store opening up, as well as a review of the Magpul PRS Sniper Stock.

The recipe, for Blueberry Cobbler, is definitely worth trying, either the original or this one with some HOTR tweaks. The original recipe was not from my Grandmother, but that of the Grandma of my friend LB at Bullets and Biscuits and she was good enough to share it.

It was pretty amazing.
The cracked sugar top is made by pouring boiling water over the sugared batter layer without stirring and then popping it into the oven with the water still pooling on top. The result, a crisp, sugary top with moist, fragrant cake underneath. The berries need no extra sugar and have the perfect level of subtle tartness which balances the whole dish. 
But now to make a Range version?   I know, replace the milk with buttermilk, add extra vanilla and replace a bit of the cinnamon with cardamon. MMMMM. This makes another wonderful cobbler, with that cracked sugar crust and a very juicy base. It didn't even need ice cream.

It's very simple and was assembled in less than 15 minutes with just two bowls.
In a cereal bowl add 1 and  1/2 teaspoons Braggs apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1/2 cup milk, stir and let sit to sour it (or use buttermilk)

In a 10 x 10 shallow casserole  (I didn't have a 11 x 7 that LB called for) place 2 pints (roughly 4 generous cups) of fresh picked blueberries, sorted and washed (this makes for a very juicy cobbler).

In a medium sized bowl mix:

1 and  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamon
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Penzey's Mexican Vanilla
1 large egg
the soured milk mixture
5 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Whisk with a spoon until pretty smooth and pour and smooth over the fruit (it will be quite thick)

Sprinkle with a mixture of :

1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Pour over the top of the batter:

1 cup boiling water.  Do not stir!
Place immediately in a 350 degree  F. oven and bake about 45 - 50 minutes (until golden and a toothpick stuck into the top layer comes out clean.)

When it's out of the oven, sprinkle on another tablespoon of sugar, if you wish.

It's good for a treat on a sunny afternoon,  it is good for breakfast on those early, dark mornings with a big mug of coffee.
This is a keeper, one that any family member would be proud to pass on.

14 comments:

  1. As always, it sounds great! I'll start the coffee if you want to serve ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a cook, but that blueberry cobber has almost seduced me to try my hand at it. Love the title, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which is worse--you showing off a lovely Garand, or you showing off a luscious looking blueberry cobbler! I want both!
    Vic303

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, again food AND wonderful hardware?!?! You raise the bar again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afib here we come.
    Make those long shoots easy. Just wait for the skip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's that Camp Perry time of year again... lots of Garands in use... and Cobbler goes well with 30-06...

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe for blu-berry cobbler looks great...and I'm going to try it!
    Thanks.

    Garanditis... checking the E-store twice a day, it's a sickness without a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely job. I will definitely try this.
    Fondly,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love blue berry cobbler.
    My grandmother would bake blackberry cobbler from the Himalaya blackberries I would pick around our farm in SW Washington.
    I can feel my blood sugar rising now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it! I just made it this morning (for breakfast, hee hee) using buttermilk. Yup. It was yummy too! I LOVE waiting to see your spin on things.

    PS - Thanks for the blog mention/nod.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing. My husband and our guests are going to go nuts for this! I've been looking for a dessert to make for our get together with our out of town family this week and I've found a winner. I love exchanging recipes with family and friends, that's where you find the real jems! Thank you so much for sharing! Also, not sure if you’re a reader or not, but there’s a great book out called “Mofongo” by Cecilia Samartin, http://www.ceciliasamartin.com/. I’ve been recommending it to anyone I come across who likes cooking and company. I just finished it and it’s such a great summer read; It’s all about food and family, two things summer usually revolves around. Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brigid,First you should know that I love your blog,and admire your work.
    I frequently try your recipes and usually they're pretty good.So I feel bad when I criticize,but here's what happened today:I made the blueberry cobbler,from the recipe on your blog,followed it carefully(I thought twice about it when you said the blueberries don't need any extra sugar,but I followed the recipe word for word).The cobbler smelled fantastic baking,and looked pretty as the picture,but when I tasted it I was let down.It wasn't sweet like cake,it was just so-so.A friend tasted it and noted it was like bluberries and bread.I reread your recipe,and then followed the link to your friend's blog for the original recipe,and -you forgot the sugar.There's supposed to be sugar in the cake!
    I'll try it again soon.
    Billf

    ReplyDelete
  13. billf - I'm SO sorry, I didn't catch that on the proof read. I owe you a dessert. There should have been 3/4 cup of sugar in with the flour. Thanks for kindly pointing it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, this cobbler topping also works for peach cobbler. Not that I could eat almost the whole cobbler by myself. At one time.
    Selene

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.