Monday, August 12, 2013

It's Nice to Know your Vises - Weekend with Friends

 
Birthday weekend has passed (thanks everyone for the well wishes both on and off line).  It's going to be hard to go back to work tomorrow.  For my family, and those friends in other cities  I can best share the day in photos.

It started with Popovers for brunch. 
 
Then it was off to Half Priced Books.
The model railway book has a section on making relays out of wood, iron wire and electromagnets (hmmm evil basement lab experiment #126).

I got to pick where we'd have "birthday dinner" before some folks had to go back to work early Monday.  I'd heard about this place from so many, including an episode of "Man vs Food" where Adam said "best Meatloaf and Pie ever!" Gray Brothers Cafeteria. It's not your typical cafeteria. It's done up like a old world restaurant with lots of dark wood, stained glass and fireplaces. The food? Amish Buffet meets Southern Home cooking.
They serve you, on plates like Grandma had and will give you generous servings (the guy in front of me had three pieces of chicken including a breast the size of a small raccoon).  I went for two small pieces of chicken and a few side dishes.  Best fried chicken I have ever had, and the sides were all from scratch delicious. (I couldn't finish the big chunk of homemade bread but it was great).
Here's another platter from our group.
It's just 5 minutes south of the Indianapolis Airport and Interstate 70  in Mooresville, Indiana if you are traveling through the state.

Afterwards, there was  a gander at some old cars
Then back on home to visit and relax.

For me!??

Hand knitted Cammo slippers from a trap shooting gal friend I cross paths with professionally.
A book presented with "not that you need it".  Cool!  I'll let someone here guess what it is.
And, the present that any self respecting Ninja Gal would want.  A leather garter belt with adjustable garter and knives, hand made by Partner in Grime. 
For you never know when  the special occasion might arise where you might need a proper garter belt.

Now it's time to just relax and have fun.  There's always board games around here. 

First, a round of SEQUESTRATION BATTLESHIP!
*#^&!  Well THAT was a short game. 

Check out the box.  Notice anything unusual on the aircraft carrier under the fighter jets?

Tam: "Are those taildraggers on there?"

Evening was a few adult beverages and some of our favorite Law Enforcement and Forensic shows ("That's NOT the inferior nasal conchae!) before heading off to sleep in  my new slippers.
The following day, it was Girl's Day Out. I made sure the Birthday goodies were put away where Barkley couldn't get them and then it was time to feast and frolic with the Mongolian hordes! Thanks Tam!
Our food is on the grill.
After yesterday, I went for healthy with a sauce of  Mongolian Ginger Sauce, Teriyaki and extra Cayenne. Crispy, Crunchy, Savory, Spicy all together with brown rice and tortillas to make wraps.  Yum!

Then it was off to explore Woodcraft.  It's a little off the beaten path, but oh so much fun with a friendly, knowledgeable staff and lots of unique supplies.  Just the shop equipment alone was worth it.

See, I told you there would be planes involved.
Too soon, it was time to head home.  Huck was quietly waiting at Roseholme Cottage, as I knew Barkley would be when I arrived home.
HEY, GUESS WHAT I ATE !
Birthdays are great, but it's the little adventures throughout the year, the ones done without expectation or fuss that are the most fun.  Especially when you can hang with the folks that know all your vises and love you anyway.
Thank you everyone for all your well wishes and for my friends, for being there through so many years and adventures.