Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bar Scheeze Mac and Cheese

If you've not tried Win Schulers Cheese in a Crock, do yourself a favor.  It's available at stores in the upper Midwest, Florida and Virginia and is available by mail elsewhere.

The first time I had it was a few years back from Beef Mart, When Midwest Chick and Mr. B introduced me to it and  it became a house favorite. My favorite is the original cheddar, the original secret recipe made famous at Win Schuler's Restaurants in Michigan. The Cheese spread production was sold to Campbell's a while back, who wisely did not "improve" the recipe.  Schuler's restaurant is in its fourth generation of fine food and great service. That's pretty impressive as according to the Family Firm Institute (FFI), nearly 70% of family-owned businesses fail before reaching the second generation, 88% fail by the third, and only about 3% survive to the fourth.

Visit the restaurant (Schuler's Restaurant & Pub) if you get up to Marshall Michigan (hint, try the barbecued meatballs) but definitely look for their famed cheese spread which will make another well known specialty store's "Pub Cheese" hide in the closet in shame.  The unique blend of cheddar cheese and spices   is wonderful with crackers, breads and veggies.  It's cheddar with a kick and became known in the beginning to the many patrons of his restaurant who got a complimentary small cheese crock as they waited for their meal as "Bar Scheeze".

 I had some left from a little dinner party.   Hmmmm. Time to do something a little different with it.

Bar Scheeze Mac and Cheese. I didn't have any bread crumbs or crackers for the topping, and just put a little bit of the cheese on the top after assembling, with no crumbs, but it was a hit.  I used some really good quality cracked pepper from Penzey's, real, unsalted butter, and whole milk and it was a hit.

For the story of a great American family business and some more recipes go on over to Win Schulers
Macaroni and Cheese (recipe from Win Schuler)

6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
½ of a 1 lb. box elbow macaroni (2 cups uncooked)
5 Tbsp. flour
3 cups milk
Pepper to taste
16 oz. Win Schuler's Sharp or Original Cheese Spread
 ½ cup plain breadcrumbs or crushed buttery crackers

Preheat oven to 350°. Put a 2-quart baking dish  (I used a 11 x 7 pan) with 1 Tbsp. of the butter in the oven to melt. Remove and set aside. Cook the macaroni per package instructions and drain. Melt the remaining 5 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour, stirring until blended. Using a whisk, add the milk until it becomes a little thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add pepper and 14 oz of the Win Schuler's Cheese Spread and stir. Add the macaroni to the cheese mixture and stir until blended. Pour into the 2-quart dish. In a separate bowl blend the breadcrumbs and remaining 2 oz of Win Schuler's Cheese Spread. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni mixture. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Serves 4 - 6.

13 comments:

  1. My kids could live off of Mac & Cheese. Myself its pizza of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep an eye open for it as I am in Virginia, of course we are not in rich virginia but sw va and there is a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WSU Cougar Gold also makes tasty Mac and Cheese. The campus bookstore in Vancouver has cans in the refrigerator case near the cash register with the sodas and other cold items.

    It is a pricey indulgence at $20/can, but the money supports the dairy program at the school. Plus, we usually get a couple of dishes and snacking out of each can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh phooey, excuse moi por un second.... busy cleaning drool off board of keys.
    Years ago, belonged to a cheese of the month club. Got to sample so many different cheeses and recopies. Afternoon by the fire, wine some cheese n crackers.... and a ball game.

    Mac n cheese still scarf it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brigid,Sorry to be a little off topic,but I made the enchiladas that you featured a couple days ago,and they were the best!
    Do you think the same spice mixture would also be OK for shredded chicken instead of beef?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there you go again!

    Hell, I'd settle just for the cheese and crackers thing! (or squirt cheese and Bugles(tm))!

    I know, I'm a classy guy...

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOOD mac and cheese can be its own food group. Sadly, most of what is available, even in restaurants, does not qualify as good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If mac n’cheese and Frito pie qualifies as gourmet - I am in. Okay, okay I know Velvetta/shells and Hormel is pushing it a bit. It was worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mac & cheese recipe sounds yummy. My wife makes the best mac & cheese. It starts with sautéing onions just a little, then she adds condensed cream of mushroom soup and half a can of water and finally Tillamook sharp cheddar, although we like it extra sharp too. The onions are not so done you still get a surprise onion bight with the thick cheesy mac. I think she uses about 4 cups of cheese. It's an easy peesey recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been many, many years since I've had "crock" cheese. My dad used to get a package during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. We never knew where it cane from or what company manufactured it, but we always got enough that dad shared it with all (10) of us kids. It was tasty, and it's one of those childhood memories that can probably never be redone but will always seem bigger than life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been many, many years since I've had "crock" cheese. My dad used to get a package during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. We never knew where it cane from or what company manufactured it, but we always got enough that dad shared it with all (10) of us kids. It was tasty, and it's one of those childhood memories that can probably never be redone but will always seem bigger than life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I question orange cheese.

    Cheese should be creamy colored, like, you know, cream. Not dyed, like oranges. But then I spent a lot of time making cheese in Canada and Vermont and we didn't have malt for dying it.

    I wonder when orange cheese caught on? Well I'll be darned. I went and looked it up and 'Straight Dope' has a little article on it. Makes sense too!

    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1284/why-is-cheddar-cheese-orange

    So, it isn't as nefarious as I had thought!

    Fair Winds,

    Cap'n Jan

    Fair Winds,

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roscoe - It' nice of you to sacrifice and eat tasty cheese spread for the dairy program :-) I'd be doing the same.

    john bord - cheese of the month club, sounds fun (as would the bacon of the month)

    billf - yes, the seasoning would work well with chicken I'd cook the chicken first, then add the water and seasoning and let it simmer in.

    armedlaughing - I have to stay away from bugles, they evaporate if I'm around.

    LL - the hotel at L'Enfant plaza used to have this incredible mac and cheese. Sadly, they're closed for a year for a renovation.

    Richard Hensley - growing up out West I'd never heard of Frito Pie and then it's showing up everywhere, including a southern Sonic restaurant I stopped at.

    Blaine - Tillamock is the best, I SO wish I could get their marionberry ice cream out here. Sounds like a good dish your wife makes.

    Murphy - I'd be betting that was Swiss Colony, we'd get some of that as well from a relative.

    Cap'n Jan - that was interesting, though a lot of the cheddar I get is white vermont, for sandwiches and stuff. Mac and cheese though wouldn't seem right a different color.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..