Monday, January 6, 2014

Not a Quote from Copernicus

It's important to have a plan when you start a
plumbing project, otherwise how will
 you know what things haven't gone according to?


  1. what things haven't gone ?


  2. My yardstick for how bad things are going is based on how many trips to the hardware store or to Home Depot it takes to finish. One terrible day it was four trips. 8am, 2pm, 5pm and 10 pm. A record I hope stands for a long long time.

  3. Dad used to say there were only 2 things one needs to know for successful plumbing:

    1. ~certain matter~ travels downhill.

    2. Payday is Friday.

    BTW, the correct configuration is in the center of your photo. :)

  4. Plumbing is a lot like sausage. You want it to work, but you don't really want to know everything that one has to do in order to make it work.

  5. gfa - according to plan :-)

    Windy - I've not come close to that, but before this place is renovated it's likely

    bobeaston - ha! Thanks for the advice.

    LL - I'm beginning to understand that.

    Minus 11 here (not including wind chill) but the crash pad has power.

  6. And always have lots and lots of those little elbows and adapters.

    If you solder yourself into a jam, you can create you own little copper pipe maze and get back out.

  7. Oh....and I am considered the family plumber. Wow, I do not envy you having to solder all those joints. Still, copper piping is far better than the tinkertoy crap they use in homes these days.

    It's a balmy 12*F outside this morning, not counting the windchill. The house in 54* inside (we are stubborn and do not turn on the heat in what passes for winter here). Still, after 3 nights sleeping on the air mattress in the living room, I looked longingly at my bed back in the "quarantine ward" this morning and wondered if it was worth the risk to return to it!

  8. You should always have a plan. That way you have something to deviate from.

    Minus eleven in SW Iowa where I am right now. 64 at home. *shivering*

  9. John in Toronto - welcome back! Yes, I think that's a wonderful idea hehehe

    Monkeywrangler - you don't want to see me solder. It's not pretty. You're braver than I with the temp, if the house gets below 65 I'm turning it on.

    Larry - I bet you wish you were home. Minus 15 here now.

  10. I just cut out the problem child (me) and pay the man... sigh

  11. In the summer of 1962 my mom, step-dad and I (13 at the time) moved into a very old house that had been abandoned all winter. It also hadn't had running water to it for several years. All the plumbing was galvanized steel and we discovered breaks one leak at a time. By the end of that summer we replaced way over half of all the pipes, one at a time. Great learning experience.

  12. Almost forgot, best of luck with your project. Hope it goes better than our 1962 experience.

  13. There's an old joke that any homeowner who completes a plumbing project with fewer than three trips to the hardware store is actually a plumber, just working on his own stuff on his day off.

    I feel your pain. Time was, I would have spent the final hours of the year with strong drink and evil companions. This time I spent it with a plunger in half an hour of heroic combat with the most obdurate clog I'd faced in years.

    Fortunately, it succumbed to my efforts, and I began 2014 flushed with success, rather than by finding out what Roto Rooter charges for an after-hours callout on a national holiday.

    As for soldering, I'm good at it, but wielding a blowtorch in the vicinity of wallpaper, insulation, and so forth has always been a (probably needlessly) scary activity for me. I guess the list of handy improvised ways of extinguishing a small fire includes a shirt soaked in nervous sweat...

    There is now an epoxy that is supposedly rated for solderless connection of plumbing joints. It could join SharkBite connectors among my new best friends the next time I have to work on the input side of the plumbing.

  14. I'd think that'd be a non-quote from Archimedes.

  15. I hate plumbing projects. They always take at least three trips to the hardware store.

    And here in Western CO it's a high of 30 today, mostly sunny. Wuhahahaha.

  16. I do not understand plumbing, but I do know how to make sausage... wait... oh you know what I mean!
    It was 71 here yesterday, and beautiful, BUT we are really short on wet stuff to replenish the aquifer.

  17. Ah plumbing! It never fails that the local hardware store will not have the fitting I need when I need it. They will have had it last week. And they will get it back in stock next week after I've cobbled 13 together to get where I was going.

  18. I like plumbing except for the above-mentioned numerous trips to the h/w store. That's somewhat alleviated by the stash of parts that I've accumulated over the years.

    Haven't soldered plumbing since I discovered CPVC (Genova) in about 1968. Lots nicer!

  19. Heat the joint, not the solder.

    Then touch the solder to the end of the joint, all around the "matching spot".

    The heat in the joint will suck solder inside the joint and seal it.

    Cool at air temps, or douse with water if you must.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..