Sunday, February 16, 2014

Caffinate ! - Dark Chocolate Espresso Shortbread Cookies

An afternoon experiment in the kitchen resulted in a nice break for hot beverages and a little pick me up on a cold day.  This is a dark chocolate , not too sweet, shortbread cookie, perfect with a glass of milk or with your afternoon tea.

Espresso sugar is not sugar mixed with coffee but sugar made with a coffee infusion.  I get it from Artisano's in Indianapolis (they ship!) and it's also wonderful in brownies, as a rub for steak or in molasses cookies. If you don't wish to order any, you could likely substitute a bit of instant espresso powder mixed with sugar,  but it's worth a purchase and it only takes a little bit in most recipes so even the half ounce bag (pictured) is good for several uses.
Chocolate Espresso Shortbread 

1  and 1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar plus 2 Tablespoons espresso sugar
1/2 teaspoon  real vanilla extract

Beat with hand mixer until light and fluffy.

In a smaller bowl mix:
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder (I used Scharfeenbrger)
Stir flour mixture into butter mixture, stirring by hand until blended.   On a non stick surface or lightly floured cutting board, form into a log about 2 and 1/2 inches across.  Wrap well in Sarah wrap or plate and lightly cover with a piece of Sarah wrap on top and a dish towel on top of that and chill 30-40 minutes.

Slice, sprinkle lightly with a mixture of regular and espresso sugar and bake on a non stick cookie sheet in a preheated 350 F oven  for 18-20 minutes (they will spread out slightly and edges will appear dry when done.)  Do NOT over bake (they will be pretty soft coming out of the oven but harden up upon cooling).

Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack before removing cookies. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.

Makes 2 dozen.

I couldn't resist though, staring down at the cookie sheet in my best Dalek voice:

"Which of you is least important!"  before exterminating a couple of them.

10 comments:

  1. Based on the fact there are rarely any advance warnings, anymore
    (I suspect being married takes precedents over email 'heads-up'!)
    I should be long dead by now...

    Looks and sounds terrific! :-)

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Which of you is least important?" (/Dalek voice)

    ROFL! Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been making sugar cookies and peanut butter cookies. We made some buns, first turned OK, the second batch was a flop. Try try again.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are a debbil-woman! Chocolate, espresso, shortbread... Can't you see I am trying to get back into a shape other than round?

    --seriously, those look yummy. Must be strong...must resist...

    Vic303

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost imagine how they taste, I would eat too many, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. Those look sinfully delicious. !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Roscoe received a gluten free chocolate brownie recipe from a coworker that uses two cans of black beans instead of flour. She swears that the end result is good.

    I'm skeptical, but if it works, I will pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I'm vibrating- after only reading about those little caffeinated bits of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet you could make a fortune selling them online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. armedlaughing - haha. I promise, next time anything with cheese will come with a warning first.

    Rev. Paul - thanks for the note at home, I think I'll go watch an episode since there's freezing rain and I don't have to go any hwere.

    Rob - bread does take a little practice. Keep at it.

    Monkeywrangler - I had one with breakfast, but lunch was a Home Run Inn Pizza so I can't say I was "good".

    sunnybrook farm - I put most of them in a freezer container for friends who will be dogsitting next time that's needed. All but one I sent off with Partneer.
    I know my weaknesses.

    naturegirl - they were actually very easy to make.

    Roscoe - if you give it a thumbs up, please send me the recipe.

    el chupacabra - and if you have them with a cup of coffee as well. WHEEEEEEE! V1 Rotate!

    Mathew - I'd need 5 engineering students to figure out how to ship them though, they're fairly delicate. I'll keep my day job though :-)



    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.