Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Soldiers In Your Cup

I received a few notes and such in the mail this last week, all so appreciated after the sudden loss of Barkley.  One was simply a box on the porch.  Something from my pilot friend Miss D.

A package of  100 toy soldiers to add to the The Bacon Issue from my friend T.

Miss D. dropped a note that I might have fun with them.

Toy soldiers? Why, I'm a distinguished professional, well known in my field, astute and serious. . . .
Oh, my friends know me WAY too well.


  1. One can possess a serious professional title AND have fun, with just as much dignity.

    The best gifts are the ones that let you play like a little kid, LOL.

  2. +1 to your friend! A great deployment of brave warriors behind cover! =)

  3. Love it!

    When my folks retired, my best friend and I decided that we needed to give them an appropriate gift: a Retirement Survival Kit.

    We included plastic toy gardening tools (retirees are always gardening); a ceramic piggy bank to save money for a rainy day; some pirate treasure that was supposed to go in the piggy bank but was too big to fit; a hat for my dad that came complete with warning buttons, a bicycle horn mounted on the side, and a flashing red light above the brim; and a package each of toy soldiers and rubber bands. These were, we explained, for when they got bored in retirement. They could whip out the toy soldiers and try to shoot each other's men down with rubber bands.

    Mom rolled her eyes.

    Dad roared...and actually wore the hat.

  4. Wonderful Humpday smile, those little soldiers bring back a lot of memories, I could never get enough of them....many of them died from a barrage of BB gun artillery :)

  5. May you always hold a fascination for toy soldiers, and the like.

  6. Sounds like you're in need of a hug, a pretty handmade card (but alas, I would not want you to send me your address unless you want to be inundated with cards)and something to plant.

    Or not. I'm flexible.

  7. Bacon!! Did you say bacon?!?! Take a look:


  8. "The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup"?

  9. Mick - you remember the Folgers commercials!


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..