Thursday, April 10, 2014

Squirrel Fuel - Lasagna Bites and Farmhouse Biscuits

It's been a long day of training or just hanging around.

Everyone is hungry, but you don't really feel like a whole bunch of work. Let's see, I've got leftover pasta sauce, and there is cheese but we ate all the noodles last night.  What to make?

Lasagna Bites - Range Style.

They're little individual lasagnas made using the freshest of ingredients, baked in a muffin cup, using Wonton wrappers instead of noodles (not to be confused with wanton wrappers which you can buy at Victoria's Secret).

You press a wonton wrapper into the muffin tin and fill it with meat sauce made with ground turkey and spices and top with ricotta with a hint of cracked pepper and basil.  The recipe has from scratch pasta sauce, which I made a triple batch up to use and/or freeze, but you can use your favorite, even jarred. 


Sprinkle on a blend of five cheeses. Then, gently press another wonton wrapper on top of the ricotta layer, pressing down into the sides of the tin to form a shallow bowl shape.

Repeat the meat sauce, ricotta and cheese layers and bake for less than 15 minutes. The top edges of the wontons get crispy, the supporting structure is softer, with just enough bite to it to support the cheesy filling well.  You can do a dozen, or if you have really hungry squirrels, this easily doubles.
click on photos to enlarge, you know the drill


As my meat filling was pretty chunky with the extra mushrooms, it was a bit more than a bite, but definitely worth the time, and the fork.

Now for some bread to go with it that can bake with the main course.  Maybe just biscuits, they're easy.  But what if you want a one mixing bowl, no kneading, no biscuit cutter kind of biscuit. Farmhouse biscuit with sea salt and rosemary.

Just mix the dry ingredients, shave in some cold butter with a potato peeler (makes it much easier to blend), add some milk mixed with a heaping tablespoon of sour cream, mix, and pat into a square (OK, it's not square, but my jar of Ovaltine isn't oval, either). Then top with savory/salty/ or sweet and bake.  Less than 5 minutes, then in the oven it goes with the rest of your dinner.
Mix in medium bowl :
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder (check date, old powder doesn't rise well)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Cut in 1/4 cup butter, first shaved or cut into small slices, into flour with pastry blender or knife and fork just until the mixture resembles very course crumbs.
Stir into dry ingredients:
 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon milk (to which you've whisked a heaping Tablespoon of sour cream), just until the dough barely holds together.  You do NOT want a smooth, elastic looking dough, like for bread.

Gently pat onto the baking sheet or pan (spray with a little non stick spray first), cut into 9 pieces but do not separate.

Brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle with roughly 1/8 teaspoon sea salt mixed with 1/4 teaspoon sugar.  Sprinkle with some  dried Rosemary and bake at 375 F for 22-25 minutes.

   Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Nice ideas. But I ask you: REAL Ovaltine? No chocolate? And if so, where do you find it? None available for 4 plus years here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I am so hungry now! Love the little lasagnes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! And now I'm hungry again ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. glennils555- I get it in the UK sometimes when I'm traveling through there on business. If you want to drop me a "DO NOT POST" comment with your address I'd be happy to ship you some when I see it again.

    Lois Evensen - not an original recipe, just my version, but it was really good.

    Keads - looking forward to seeing you in a week or two, we'll coordinate the Sat. Breakfast thing with the gang before I have to hit the road.

    Rev Paul - I bet Sam could have some fun doctoring this recipe up a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The town next to me is where the Original Ovaltine Plant was. They were still making it there when I was a kid and I can remember the delicious odor wafting our way when the wind was right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife just had me print this out. She wants to try it because she's curious how the wonton wrap taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the little lasagnas. They are small enough that even I could have a couple of them and remain on my diet ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lasagna bites look really good, but seem like a lot of work.
    But I am really liking the look of the biscuit thing. I tried your 7UP biscuits the other night and they were a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're blowing my diet over here... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh, wanton wrappers.
    That is funny right there.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..