Friday, April 4, 2014

Griddle Me This Batman

It was a really, really long day today dealing with Commissioner Gordon and some Joker and I am exhausted. So  all I will offer you tonight is a recipe, which will be my breakfast tomorrow.  Yes, I know, it's pancakes again.

But I'm awake, even if worn out,  as I'm sort of excited as I got to have a conversation with my publisher and it's exciting to start that process now that the writing is done.  But as we were discussing the  author's bit that will go inside the back cover.   I was thinking I could list my occupation as "professional pancake stylist" because there ARE a lot of pancakes on here.  But it's my favorite weekend breakfast and I'm always experimenting with new recipes

Griddle Cakes are another term for American and Canadian Pancakes.  In Scotland, there are also griddle cakes, but the ones I had there were a bit thicker, sometimes studded with currents and served with tea  (yummy!)

This weekends pancake:  A tweak to my all time favorite World's Fluffiest pancake (pictured above, recipe on the right sidebar) with the addition of honey and spice (and a slight bit more of leavening as the honey adds moisture and weight to the batter). And I doubled it.  Because I can
Buttermilk Honey Griddle Cakes. With a lighter, sweet taste, they don't need a ton of syrup (but you're going to use it anyway). They were worth the 30 minutes wait time (or you can make the batter tonight, and tuck in the fridge, just give it time to warm to room temp before cooking or you will have flatjacks)

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup honey (warmed so it blends easier, I microwaved 15 seconds)
1/4 teaspoon cardamom or cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups "buttermilk" (add 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice to  the 1 1/2 cups milk and let sit 10 minutes)
2  eggs
1/2 of a stick of unsalted butter, melted (don't even think of using cheap "spread")

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk milk, vanilla and honey in a dish, whisk in eggs and then add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring only until mixed (will be lumpy) Cover with plastic wrap and let mixture stand for 30 minutes.

Cook on a buttered or oiled pan on medium heat until golden brown on each side (I love my cast iron, but use your favorite). Makes 20 nice sized griddle cakes (cool the leftovers and freeze for a quick breakfast on a busy day, better and so much cheaper than the frozen pancakes at the store)
5. Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat.
6. Add some of the butter and then 1/3 cup batter.
7. Turn heat down to medium-low.
8. Cook until the top of the pancake bubbles and flip, cooking until the other side is lightly golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
9. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter.
10. Serve with maple syrup.

Read more at http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/buttermilk-griddle-cakes/3083/#eR8clKmKdpJvfhOE.99

12 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend! Enjoy the Hotzcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling in anticipation already, and won't even be having those. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, just make that "food stylist" in general cuz all your recipes are drooly. But since you mentioned it, I imagine you could also list your occupation as Historian. You manage to recollect memories and emotions that so many of your readers share. Buried under time and many more recent life experiences, until you remind us of them. There's probably a better word than historian, that's all that pops up in my mind at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so appetizing, yet I know I'd be full after the first.
    And I'd still eat the second.
    Nibble at the third.
    Until I started on the fourth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brigid,I appreciate your need to experiment and play around with recipes,and that playing around has brought us some fantastic things to try,but once I made your "World's Fluffiest Pancakes",I don't need to look around anymore.They are the best!!I make them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keads - they were good Worth a few extra miles on the bike.

    Rev Paul - I didn't have cardamom at the crash pad (it's at home) but the cinnamon turned out nicely.

    naturegirl - thank you so much, my friend.

    Ed Bonderenka - it's hard to just have one or two.

    billf- I would agree, the fluffiest pancake recipe (on the sidebar folks) is THE best. But I still play around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some Jackwagon stole my printed copy of the "World's Fluffiest" so I printed out another... and filed it under bak'n bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, those look good. I LOVE pancakes, hotcakes, flap jacks, and even branch out into waffles, especially Norwegian waffles. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Insert Homer Simpson voice, 'Mmmmm, pancakes.", And with bacon on the side, good anytime of day or night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Brigid;

    My Sweetie made wonderful waffles yesterday, a surprise for e after I came home from a long-range precision shooting class in Texas. FINALLY, after all these years, I understand mil-dots...and maple syrup! LOL!

    I am cooking tonight...salmon with a chili glaze (2 tsp ancho chili powder, 2 fps negro; 1 fps New Mexico red...hot hot hot; 1 tps garlic powder; juice of half a lemon; 2 tps honey; warm water to mix). Broiled asparagus. Margaritas with Meyer lemon juice, Patron orange liquor, Milagro Anejo.

    The daily, mundane things carry us through. Thank you for your help and support.

    mb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make fluffier pancakes than those, and without baking soda or baking powder. The eggs have to be separated and the whites whipped to as stiff peaks as possible then folded back into the yolks, milk and flour.
    Having been all obnoxious, I have to say now that I am awaiting publication of your cookbook. Cookbooks, as you know, have some theme that links the recipes and the essays and photos between the recipes. Your theme will make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Windy - I did smile, and I bet those are good. I just don't have the patience at 7 am to whip egg whites.

    I've had a lot of people ask about a cookbook, but only a handful of the recipes are completely original, the rest are combinations of two or three recipes or tweaked recipes, with some ingredients added or subtracted and I don't want to get into any copyright issue For now, they'll just stay up on the sidebar. I do have a novel coming out in about three month, but no food in it (you are allowed to eat pancakes while reading it though). Thanks, as always, for stopping, and I won't turn down any offer of your recipe, for a morning I'm perhaps, awake. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..