Sunday, April 27, 2014

Raiders of the Last Plate - Banana Bread Pancakes

Cooking for me is always an adventure.  I regularly get ideas for recipes by surfing the web, cookbooks or other blogs.  But I never leave well enough alone and end up with part of a recipe that gets taken in a different direction, or at least tweaked.  With rare exception (the time I forgot self rising flour in making a new pancake recipe and ended up with what resembled paper plates and the Amoebasaurus Dinosaur pancakes) the results are fun and tasty.

Until I get settled back at home, something I made one morning recently and saved for a time I was busy.  It tasted just like banana bread, but with a soft, fluffy pancake texture. A hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, paired with vanilla infused syrup was the perfect topping. Partner ate a HUGE stack, and gave them two thumbs up between bites. The recipe serves 2-3, and would easily double
Indiana Jones:  Marion, don't look at it. Shut your eyes, Marion. 
Don't look at it, no matter what happens!

In a small bowl combine:
3/4 cup milk at room temperature (I nuked mine for 20 seconds)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
set aside

In a larger bowl (big enough for the final batter) combine
1 cup flour
3  generous Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt.

In a third (and final) small bowl.
Mash 1 and 1/2 large or 2 small very ripe bananas (skin turning black)
whisk in one extra large or jumbo egg until smooth and fluffy
Continue to whisk in:
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons melted butter (add slowly in a stream while whisking).
Stir banana mixture into milk mixture and blend.
Add to flour mixture and stir JUST until combined

Cook by 1/4 cup measures on oiled griddle.

Tips:  The batter is a bit stickier than your normal pancake batter so make sure your cast iron griddle is well oiled, adding a little extra oil  between batches if it looks dry

The pancakes may not bubble up quite as much as you're used to, check the bottoms and the temp to avoid burning.

Serve with:
butter and 1/2 cup maple syrup warmed with 1 teaspoon vanilla added in


  1. Ooo...2 hours too late...just got finished baking the girls Banana Nutella Swirl Muffins for breakfast.

    These will have to go in the 'some other day' file.

  2. I love your writing, and I love your food. Thanks for keeping up the inspiration, my friend.

  3. I should never, ever read your food posts right before a meal. :)

  4. greg - they are definitely worth the try.

    Jane - thank you so much. I have made it home, Dad in the care of a home health nurse til I can get back out, grandkids spending weekends with him helping out around the place.

    Rev Paul - I had breakfast at the airport and nothing since. Not much in the cupboard as I've only been home 1 day in the last 3 weeks. It's time to go foraging.

    jocostello - you are very welcome.

  5. I so am trying that this coming morning! I almost tossed out the old bananas, but my little voice said 'wait for it'.

    Definitely worth the wait!

  6. My wife made these for breakfast today. Absolutely fantastic. Even with substituting gluten-free flour.

  7. Made these this morning for and the Spawn.

    They were a big hit. Even with Spawn the Younger, who is notoriously picky about food.



I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..