Sunday, August 31, 2014

Bullets and Biscuits

It's Indy 1500 gun show weekend, so there's lots going on and a lot of friends in town. So I didn't miss out on the fun, Partner drove down from the Range and is spending the weekend at the crash pad with me while someone watches our place, so he can go to the blog meet this afternoon.

Til then, Sunday morning thanks and praise is a little nicer with homemade biscuits!

White Lily flour made with soft winter wheat and minimal kneading is the secret to light as a feather, tall, southern style buttermilk biscuits. It's hard to find around here, Meijer stores usually carries it though.

2 cups self rising white Lily flour
1/4  cup lard (yes, lard, the real thing, not Crisco which is full of transfats)
2/3 cup buttermilk (or milk with a dash of lemon juice in it, let sit 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Cut lard into flour until the fat is smaller than baby peas.
Mix in milk just until it pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Knead on floured board 2 - 3 times,  cut into 8-12 biscuits and place very close together on a baking pan.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Serve with butter, honey or preserves and BACON!


  1. I fixed biscuits like that for a friend not long ago and he wouldn't eat them. I guess he was low carb or something. It is beyond belief not eating a biscuit with bacon or sausage.

  2. Why is it my blood sugar raises just by reading your food posts.?? Enjoy the day with your other half and friends.

  3. I'll pass this biscuit recipe along to the Mrs, and have her make some.

  4. Biscuits, and bacon, but no gravy? That's almost sinful!

    I will have to see if I can find that flour here in my corner of the world.

    Amazon says my Barkley should be here on Friday!


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..