Monday, August 4, 2014

Come to the Dark Side - We Have Cookies

It was a lazy Monday off, and Partner took a day of leave to hang out with me down in Indy. We went to the Half Priced Book store.  We found  just a couple things to add to the stack of books on my shelf I just finished, but it was fun to get out of the house before I go on call in the wee hours.   He did get an autographed copy of the Book of Barkley when we got home.  I had to think of the appropriate, romantic words to put on the inside cover.

I opted for "P.S. there's a sandwich in the fridge".  

In the afternoon, while he did some computer modeling (engineers never really take a day off), I was going to try and recreate the awesome chocolate cookies at Rene's Bakery in Broad Ripple.  That way,  he had cookies to take on his drive back to work at o-dark thirty with his travel mug of coffee.   I didn't find a recipe like Rene's, but I found something else that looked intriguing, and of course, I had to add a couple touches of my own (espresso powder, dark chocolate chips and toffee chips).
Flourless, dairy-less, these are amazingly good with a crisp crackly outside and an almost meringue like inside, studded with dark chocolate chips and bits of toffee, just beginning to melt.

Chocolate Chewees (Not to be Confused with Chewie - that travels with Tam and I on outings.)
These are insanely chocolately and rich, perfect for a chocolate craving or a great cookie to pair with a mug of coffee.  They're not low sugar (wheeee!) but they ARE gluten and dairy free for those with sensitivity to such things.
Chocolate Chewees

1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder (or finely ground coffee)
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg whites (large eggs, at room temperature)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Mexican Vanilla
1  and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Heath toffee bits.

Preheat oven to 350 F

Place oven racks in the top and bottom third of the oven.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Mix dry ingredients.

Stir in vanilla and egg whites JUST until flour mixture is incorporated and it's moist.  The batter is very dark and glossy and will be a lot more  runny than typical cookie batter (do NOT overbeat or it will get really stiff and dry).
Use a  well rounded teaspoon to carefully place batter on pan.  Use a rounded teaspoon, not a rounded Tablespoon as these spread out more than you will expect.  Bake for about 15 minutes.  The tops should be still a bit shiny but will no longer look "wet" and they may crack slightly.

Remove from heat and cool slighty before gently removing (these are fairly fragile cookies fresh out of the oven). Do not let them get too cool before removing them or they will stick, even to the parchment paper. Store in air tight container. IF you have any left.


  1. Fantastic stuff ! Love those cookies. Glad you both had a good day !

  2. Oh boy, those sound like a chocolate coma. Not that that's a bad thing LOL.

    Glad you two had some extra hang time. :)

  3. I just got in from changing a friend's wheel bearing, wondering how I would reward myself.
    Now nothing looks good around here.

  4. Sure NOW you tell me!

    (Looks yummy!)


  5. The Dreaded Cuz! I had to take it away from my dogs; it was unbearable. I did give one to my brother's largely ignored doggie: nothing says "Pay Attention To Me" like that obnoxious squeak.

  6. I see 3 copies of Huck Finn. I see 3 possible explanations...

    1. "I already have a copy, but oooooh, that's a nice copy."

    2. Pardner had one, you had one (or two). They've come together to keep each other company.

    3. "I've read this old friend nearly to death, and I should probably get another copy"

    I'm guilty of all of the above...


    I got my Barkley book(s) - and I apologize in advance for not ripping right through it, as is my wont, but I am reading it a chapter each night to savor 'all the words'....

    I wish there were pictures, but totally understand that printing pics is a whole other realm. I can go to your blog and see pics.

    Thanks for harvesting up your Barkley Memories to share with us...

    Fair Winds and Following Seas!

    Cap'n Jan

  8. Jane - cookies didn't last long, that's for sure.

    naturegirl - it's been stressful at work and with Dad (someone in Jamaica trying to rip him off telling him he won a sweepsteaks) so I needed the time.

    Ed - they were really quick to make, baking took longer than making them.

    armedlaughing - sorry for no advanced warning :-)

    Ken O - Barkley loved that toy, Abby wants no part of it, she likes her stuffed animals that squeak.

    Josh B - good eye, I briefly had a roommate at the crashpad between her house sale and retirement and I inherited a box of books from her when she moved out (she had been a teacher before going into law enforcement) Probably where those extra two came from.

    Cap'n Jan - I will try and post Barkley photos and tidbits each week over there. There aren't enough hours in the day to maintain both blogs full time, but you will enjoy the memories of him, as I do.

  9. Gonna have to try these. They look amazing!

  10. I always enjoy encountering fellow Pratchett fans. Someday I hope to see a recipe for a toasted figgin...


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..