Sunday, October 12, 2014

Gunpower and Bread - The Weekend

And

Yeast Rolls with Rosemary and Sea Salt

With an egg and a couple pieces of bacon, it made for a nice breakfast.
I realized Thursday as I was going into four days off that it was going to be pretty quiet 'round these parts with Partner on the road and my closest friends, it seems, on holiday or taking time needed for family and themselves.

Still, I was looking forward to it, still laughing from photos of a little surprise that waited for me.  You see, Partner in Grime had this horrifically cheap and  ugly blue ceramic lamp in the bedroom of his bachelor quarters that I absolutely hated, and it didn't go away when we got married, despite my having a large dowry of  muffin tins, reloading supplies and lamps (no cows though).

For waiting for me  at the Range would be:

A lamp
gloves to protect from flying glass
a hammer
safety goggles
And a little note.
For it's been a stressful time lately, in the world, in my own.
 But there were some bright spots in the weekend, even if spent alone.

People are still buying and reading the Book of Barkley which brightens my whole world (and helps with Dad's nursing expenses)  Plus, there were 2 more requests for autographed copies, that came into the Wild Hare Enterprises mailbox including one. . .

For Chewbacca.  Yes, Peter Mayhew, the actor that portrayed him in all the Star Wars Movies.  He has a rescue dog named Scout and we have mutual friends.  I was offered payment for the book and declined.  The Wookie will never pay for a book on my watch.

 The inscription?

Peter - I skipped school to watch you in Star Wars in 1977.  Best decision ever! Thank you for our support of the rescue dogs.  LBJ

Chewie brings back a lot of memories, and not just of the movie.
No Barkley, you can't eat the little roaring Wookie that's attached to Tam's purse!

Then it was time to curl up with some reading of my own. Old NFO 's novel The Grey Man - Payback.  I was a beta reader for the scientific/forensic bits (though apparently my instructions for measuring body height for a headless body were a little too detailed, and Jim just referenced some "formula" in that edited bit that totally made me smile.)
Its' a wonderful, riveting read, better than anything I've savored this summer of it's type (action, adventure, law and the West).  It's even better than the first one, so hold on to your hat and go to Amazon and simply type in the title to order one now, or click on Old NFO's web link above to order.

Now Back to our Usual Programming.  Pineapple Chicken from scratch.

Dogs Like Chicken!
Sorry Abby - but remember, I did get you that stuffing free toy and some little treats shaped like little toothbrushes to clean your teeth this week at Specks!

Looks like it's just going to be you and I this weekend, Abby.


But it's Fall, there's apples, and pumpkins and all kinds of things I can do to keep busy.
 
Maybe I can  carve a pumpkin for the side table.  Perhaps one like this.
Or just go to the range and blast away some frustration.
Shooting burns calories right?

The conservation club was deserted.
Still, there's just something about the golds of Fall against the last green remnant of summer.
The burnished brass of leaves, the silver glint, an icy sheen, on a puddle deep in shade.

I love those last few days of Fall.  Even out here, the solitary wanderer.

A shot or two.

A drive safely back home.
Dinner - (French bread stuffed with sausage lasagna sauce and cheeses)
 and perhaps another small shot before bed.
A gift from a long retired friend and reader, to whom I had sent some TBOB's for his whole family, that came to me with some antique reloading stuff that was really cool. Thank you Bob!

Gunpowder and Bread.  Even alone, I've got family and friends.  It's all good.

19 comments:

  1. Picked fresh greens here and fixed them Brigid style, yes it involves cooking bacon in the pan before adding the greens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, baking powder in bread, gunpowder in guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed - that does explain why the muffins for tomorrow were a little "splody".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're as bad as the dogs (and cats) here.
    FOOD!...FOOD!...FOOD!

    All they do is clamor for food! (and sleep, and attention)

    Hope you are getting all you desire!

    gfa

    PS - COOL about Mr. Mayhew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed. Wonderful post. I hope you had a great weekend and it was great to talk to you. Well, except for the fact the Bell System went down hill after I left them in 1986 =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very cool! Glad you shared the Chewie news, that's fantastic stuff there.
    So how was the lamp killing?
    Also, best pumpkin ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of your hand as you hold open your book to reveal the inscription. As my wife and I like to say, "Nice hardware!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book come up on US Amazon, but in the UK they have several books (some of them adult themed) that are authored by someone named Barkley and I guess that takes precedence. I put "Book of Barkley" in quotes and the UK site pulled it up just fine. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the 18yr old stuff. Reminds me, standby for an image heading your way tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't even imagine you being "alone" except by choice . Pretty neat you know Chewie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you need the pumpkin to light up and shout "Exterminate!"

    http://arduino.cc

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...new Greyman book?

    Oh thank you God. I've been in a drought for new Material since the Book of Barkley or so and have been rereading series I enjoy (but have probably re-read a bit too often) to try to fill the void.

    Thanks for the heads up Brigid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids are jealous of your dalek pumpkin! They all want to be weeping angels for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's commendable that you have a hearty appetite when you're alone, and manage to fill your time with charitable work such as shooting that lamp. It needed to be put out of its misery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. armedlaughing - well, what else is there but food food food (OK, don't go there).

    Keads - I hope your Mom is feel better today. Thanks again for the phone call.

    Jennifer - the lamp is still with us. . saved for another day, but it has been dismantled with the urn left down in the shop (where hopefully no one gets the idea of using it as the urn to hold my remains some day)

    Mac Night - Scotch Night and the darn bat phone had to go off last night.

    immagikman - some alone time does me good, even though I miss Partner.

    Roscoe - excellent! Thanks for the new CD in the mail.

    Jon - yes, and it' even better than the first one. I'd heartily recommend it.

    Monkeywrangler - that wasn't my actual pumpkin, just the plan. We'll see if I have time to do one before Halloween. This week is going to be some long days.

    lotta joy - just doing my part to keep the size 14 jean industry in business. Too many size zero's running around Hollywood right now. Loved what you did with your white wall.



    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. The Range Post Office is really slow delivering the discs if they are just getting to you now.

    One disc is a superset of the other -- three shows instead of two. I thought that USPS ate one and sent a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Roscoe - we have received two so far. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the nice words!!! And honestly, I coouldn't get the formula to fit... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! A little bit of everything...

    Love the inscription to Mr. Mayhew, how awesome is that? And rumor has it Chewie's in the next one!

    My big inner geek coming out, sorry....

    OK, one more....

    EX-TER-MI-NATE!
    EX-TER-MI-NATE!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..