Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Amaretto Pecan Pie - When Writers Take a Break to be Bakers

Thirty chapters down - Twenty-something left to go, with my awesome editor, Gigi K,.already started on the first chapters.  But I'm just wore out, after a very long work day--of words or anything else.  So I will leave you with something made for Partner before I left for work.

Amaretto Pecan Pie

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
1 teaspoon vanilla 1/4 light corn syrup
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
2 Tablespoons Amaretto (almond flavored liquor)
3 eggs -beaten
1 3/4 cups pecan pieces
1 9 inch unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 375 (190 C)

Mix the sugars and butter together in a bowl. Stir in vanilla, Amaretto and beaten eggs, fold in the pecans and pour the mixture into the pie crust.

 Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 350  F.without opening oven door and bake an additional 30 minutes.

 Allow to cool completely before serving.


  1. Thanks for sharing! Everyone in this house loves pecan pie and an excuse to have a bit of Ameretto around sounds just lovely!

    The book will happen! Maybe you need a few days off to do a data dump on your brain. Take care of you!

  2. MY My Pecan pie looks great, But do you do Rhubarb my mother used to do a killer Rhubarb pie for Christmas and Thanksgiving She did not like them but Dad and I could really destroy one.

  3. That looks delicious! I wonder if Kahlua could be used. When I was at my friend's house, I played with her black lab. I threw a tennis ball off the porch and the dog fetched it to me. It was 95 and humid out. Finally, I told Jake that one of us was going to have a heart attack in the heat. Jack flopped on the porch floor and I collapsed in a chair. Jake's owner said she was getting worried, too.

    Jake would take a ball to the fence and wait for someone to come by and push the ball through the fence at just the right moment to roll down to the sidewalk. People would stay for long periods of time and play with him. He taught people lots of games.

    All those pictures remind me of him.

  4. Once tried, with the standard(off the Karo bottle) recipe, replacing 1/3 of the sugar with honey. Worked very well.

    Use more than 1/3, it won't set up right.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..