Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Doctor is In - Range Dinner


When your spouse or partner comes home from a long day at work- you can nuke him or her something, Or with a crockpot and 6  ingredients from the store (plus common spices) you can make this.

I'd recommend this.  Even with  no kitchen or functioning stove, this was easy to make and less than $2.50 a serving..

Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork.

3/4 yellow onion
1 cheap pork shoulder (3-4 pounds)
1 can Dr. Pepper (not diet)
1 cup cheap barbecue sauce
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
creamy deli coleslaw
bakery kaiser rolls.

Slice onion and place in bottom of crockpot.
Season the pork lightly  with salt/pepper and/or garlic powder
Place in crockpot on low.
Pour can of Dr. pepper over it.
Cook on low 7-8 hours, carefully, turning the roast over halfway through if you're home (not required).

An hour before serving, remove about 1/4 cup of the liquid and discard and pour the cup of the barbecue sauce on top of the pork.

When it's done, remove about 1/4 cup of the liquid and set aside.
Shred the pork, mixing it into the sauce, adding Dr. Pepper liquid back in if needed for the desired "wetness".

Serve on buns with coleslaw and additional barbecue sauce, if desired.

6 comments:

  1. Jeez, I just ate and now I'm hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling over here... dang it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of funny, because my wife says 'I don't like pork!', but when I make pulled pork, or my ribs, or do up a pork tenderloin, she always eats her fair share.

    I think what she really means is 'I don't like the bone dry, flavorless pork chops my mom used to make.

    I have seen similar recipes using soda like this...I suppose with your endorsement I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good, like always. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you've given us this "brain-dead" recipe, but... could you come cook at MY house? All's you would have to do is... everything..., but I do have Bushmill's, which I would be happy to share, and I would be happy to let you settle into my La-Z-Boy after dinner! And my Sadie, (Yellow Lab, 5-y.o., and 65 pounds of puppy love,) would be happy to allow you to scratch her ears while you decompress after dinner!

    I don't think you're going to get a better offer than this ALL WEEK!

    Oh, yeah... and I'LL do the dishes!

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..