Friday, May 8, 2015

What? No Bacon? Who are You and Where is Brigid?

Yes, this is really Brigid. I've not been kidnapped and treated cruelly (Bud Light Lime?) to force me write a vegetarian salad post.  
I made this once when a couple I play with airplanes with (actually it was a giant remote control blimp that day) came over afterwards for dinner.  Dinner was simple. A pork tenderloin dusted with summer savory and baked, a loaf of bread we picked up at the grocery store's bakery department and fresh salad, The husband of the pair politely said "I'm sorry, I just don't like salad but the rest looks great"  His wife, urged him to take a bite, to be polite.

He ate two platefuls of the salad and didn't touch the tenderloin.  If you're looking for something good for supper, give it a try. The dressing is sweet, so start with 1/2 cup sugar, adding more as you prefer. Add leftover chicken breast to it, for a little extra protein for a main dish would also work.

Wild Strawberries on the Range

one head iceberg lettuce
one head romaine (or one bag).
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack
1 small bag walnut pieces
strawberries to taste (I used a couple of cups, in large chunks)


1 cup light olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup  sugar
2 cloves roasted garlic, chopped  (you can use a  generous teaspoon of the jarred minced)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Blend oil and sugar, stirring briskly to dissolve (if you lightly warm oil in microwave first it will blend easier).  Add remaining ingredients, and let sit for a bit in the refrigerator to let flavors blend. Toss just before serving.  Serves 4-6


  1. Sounds absolutely fabulous ! Thank you, Brigid.

  2. I personally enjoy eating leaves of romaine sans dressing.
    Bacon? I stop when it's removed from my reach.
    Your salad recipe will be shared with my wife in hopes I will be served it.
    With a side of bacon.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..