Saturday, November 28, 2015

Carne Diem

Not feeling the love for turkey on day two or three?

Carne Asada Tacos

3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped canned chipotle pepper
3 Tablespoons Penzey's Chili 9000 (or 3 tablespoons of a mixture of chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano, but seriously get some of the Chili 9000, it's very complex)
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper

Mix and whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil. Pound a large flank steak between sheets of waxed paper with a meat mallet until 1/4 to 1/3  inch thick.  Poke a number of holes in it with a fork then marinade for 24 hours.
Reserve 1/2 cup marinade and heat to a simmer on the stove while you grill the meat (liquid will reduced to about 1/4 to 1/3 cup, stirring occassionally)  Grill the meat until you have a nice sear on the outside then finely dice the meat and toss with the remaining simmered marinade.

Serve on homemade corn tortillas (double wrap them to hold the juice) in the traditional style  with onions and cilantro or Americanized with Mexican cheese and lettuce (my preference but I don't like tomatoes) with your favorite hot sauce.

Now - you can use store bought tortillas (making sure you heat them up on a slightly oiled grill).  My favorites are the Trader Joe's THIN corn tortillas (they make a thicker one that's not as good) or Maria and Ricardo’s Handmade Style Soft Corn Tortillas,Yellow.  (Note the "handmade", they also have a NON handmade one in similar packaging that's not as good).

But seriously think about making your own.  Instructions are here:

A nice thing with the good tortillas - you don't want to waste any.  If you've got a couple left (flour OR corn) -cut into small strips or triangles, and soften in a little oil in a pan with a bit of onion and or peppers then add eggs to make "migas" -  scrambled eggs with tortillas.


  1. As long as there are no refried beans, I'm good with that! :-)

  2. Now THAT looks awesome... may have to try tomorrow...

  3. I approve of all that I see. Migas have been a particular favorite breakfast since childhood. I am shocked to see such fine pictures from a redhead so far north of the border.

  4. I have some turkey frozen (in the freezer, of course!) for Enchiladas, which was my mother's traditional solution to the "more turkey than interest now" problem with three boys who, in the words of my father, "ate like threshers". I always wanted corn tortillas but was outvoted beyond two or three token examples, and I will look for those tortillas at TJ's.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..