Sunday, November 8, 2015

Cowgirl Kitchen

An anonymous commenter once asked if I ever used some of those prepacked ready-made meat dishes. Because they'd take less time than my "from scratch" recipes.

Let me explain.

THIS IS NOT A TOOL OF SELF DEFENSE


THIS IS


THIS IS NOT A HOME ON THE RANGE PORK CHOP.
THIS IS



I rest my case.

Cornflake Coated Pork Chops

In a shallow pan whisk two eggs with a couple of tablespoons of milk.

In a food processor or heavy duty blender place:

5 cups corn flakes
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
Six shakes of a small jar of crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon Penzey's Roasted Garlic powder (or your favorite brand)
Dash of salt

Pulse until you've got a mixture of fairly fine crumbs (not dust) with some bigger flakes mixed in.

Dip 3-4 thick cut bone-in cut pork chops in egg mixture and coat with crumbs. (Use 4-6 if you're using thin cut chops.)

Bake in 350 F. oven for 30 minutes for thin cut and up to 50 minutes for thick cut.  Use a thermometer to check internal temperature. I cook to 150 F, then let them rest about 8-10 minutes while the potatoes were whipped up. These were thick cut, bone in, and took 47 minutes.

On serving, cut a lemon in half and squeeze over pork chops (just a few drops on each for flavor, otherwise it will be soggy.)

Serve with lemon wedges, garlic mashed potatoes and vegetable.

17 comments:

  1. And if the commenter doesn't understand that example, well......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use Cheesits instead of cornflakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Cheez-its. That would be awesome, especially with some cayenne pepper and sharp cheese pulsed into it.

      Delete
  3. If you want prepared meals like the one you pictured, then it is easy to do using a cooking bag, and then put it in the freezer afterward.

    You can make a pork roast with a french oven or a dutch oven, or a cooking bag, and then freeze it with the gravy in a ziplock bag for quick defrost and use later...I do it all the time.....And you can make it with about half the sodium and no MSG or other artificial flavor enhancers.

    Better for you and about half the cost....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B - since you are the best chef I've ever met (and no, cook, just doesn't fit, you are indeed a chef), I'll take that advice to heart.

      I do have to say - I tried your wonderful chocolate dinosaur pancakes and they turned out as Amoebasaurus pancakes. But they tasted good.

      Delete
    2. ??? It's in the post if you scroll past the picture.

      Delete
  4. You duplicated the copy cat recipe for Shake 'N' Bake. Sounds great. Try lightly salting the pork chops for about an hour before you start this recipe and cook them. You won't believe the difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick - the copycat recipe for Shake and Bake calls for parsley, basil, onion salt, oregano and has a LOT Of salt, none of which I used. But If you like that one you'll enjoy this one even more I think. :-)

      Delete
  5. Looks MUCH better than the packaged variant... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious and of course, we like the way you think! Heck, we don't even own a microwave and half my coworkers can't figure out how we eat, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pork chops look delicious.....
    I'm working to perfect smellavision (pat pend) so I can not only see, but
    also Smell these absolutely marvelous recipes you whip up and post

    Rich in NC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I always bake pork chops! (Had them last night, in fact)..

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..