Sunday, November 29, 2015

Kansas Audio-Reader Network -A Barkley Memory

The holiday weekend is drawing to a close.  It was a quiet one, spent at home.  Dad spends Thanksgiving with my cousin, who is like a daughter to him, her losing her own Dad at a young age.   So he will get some good food and company until I can go out to see him closer to Christmas and New Years.

I'm fighting a cold/flu bug with a bit of fever so today sort of dragged.  But there was one bit of awesome news.

There is an organization in Kansas called  the Kansas Audio-Reader Network at the University of Kansas.  They are a reading and information service for blind, visually impaired and print disabled individuals in Kansas and Western Missouri.  According to their website "We read daily newspapers, magazines, and best-selling books on the air and on the Internet, 24 hours a day and we offer automated newspaper readings by telephone."

This  non-profit service has brought a lot of joy to those in the area that are blind, or otherwise have physical limitations that prevent them from enjoying books and printed material.  The readers are all volunteers and they have great support of not just the university they are part of, but Kansas and Missouri Lions Club.

So why am I sharing this?

The Book of Barkley was selected as one of the best sellers they would be reading for the visually impaired.  I will be receiving a copy of the reading as well, which I can't wait to hear.

Their website is:

It's a wonderful thing they are doing, not for profit, but simply to help their community. I think Barkley would be very happy to be part of that.
Well I CAN'T lay on my bed,  someone stepped all over it with their paws and it's not poofy any more.


  1. That is awesome news!
    Congratulations and well deserved. I'm sure it will bring enjoyment to all that hear it.

  2. How wonderful!!! :) :) :) We're so happy for you and Barkley! Congratulations.

  3. Congrats, and well deserved! :-)

  4. Congrats on having your book chosen! Will you get any feedback from listeners?


  5. Congrats, as well. It will bring you well deserved recognition, but also will bring joy to others.
    I remember listening to our public radio station reading similar books and magazine articles when I used to commute about 35 miles each way when I first started working at age 18 in a shop. One book I remember was the autobiography of Adm. James Stockdale. He ran as vice presidential candidate with Ross Perot, but he was better known as a Vietnam POW for I think 6 years. His story was truly amazing and one of courage and endurance which I can't even imagine.
    I have always been a voracious reader. My main source of education was not from the schooling I attended, but the books my parents had. I read the entire dictionary, then I read through the set of encyclopedias they had. Anything they had, I would read.
    Guadalcanal Diaries, Norman Mailer, Earnie Pyle. A lot of things like that. Also, things like Papa Married a Morman, Five Weeks in a Balloon, anything I could I would read.
    I bet many here were the same way.

  6. Wow! That is such an honor! Those readings are so, so very helpful too. One of my oldest friends fathers was suddenly rendered blind and while he liked listening to the radio he really missed reading. He was introduced to a similar service and really enjoyed it! Have you ever tried elderberry syrup? It's great for darn near whatever is kicking your rear. You can buy it at Walgreens or make a batch yourself. If you're interested I did a blog post a few years ago with several recipes that I can link for you. Feel better soon!

  7. This is wonderful! My paternal grandfather was legally blind for most of my time with him. He missed reading a great deal. During his last week of life, I read "The Old Man and the Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" to him. I think he would have loved TBOB on audio, better still if read by a grandchild.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..