Thursday, March 10, 2016

Dad's Favorite Casserole

This hardly falls into the "gourmet" category but is my Dad's favorite casseroles so when I visit him I make one and freeze the leftovers in individual containers (it makes 10-12 servings) with a vegetable or salad.  Smokey, rich, and buttery with a nice crunchy topping it's always a hit.

 It's a rift on one of my Stepmom's church cookbook offerings, however uses potatoes instead of  her version with rice, and Ritz cracker crumbs instead of corn flake crumbs. Oh yeah, and I threw in the jalapeno, red pepper, and smoked paprika to give it a little kick.

It makes a large 13 x 9 pan and at church potlucks is always scraped clean when other dishes remain.

2 pounds of shredded hash browns, thawed.
1 can of cream of chicken soup (I used the Healthy Request version for less sodium)
1 cup low-far sour cream
2 cups sharp cheddar (or cheddar/jack mix)
1/2 cup butter (DIVIDED)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups chopped pre-cooked ham or bacon
2 small or one large jalapenos, de-seeded and chopped
1 small or half a large  red (or green or yellow) bell pepper chopped
3/4 sleeve Ritz Crackers (crushed into crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon smoked Paprika

Place the potatoes in a very large bowl. In a medium sized bowl mix soup, sour cream, cheddar,  1/2 of the butter (melted) and black pepper Add to the potatoes and combine.  Stir in veggies and place in 13 x 9 pan sprayed with non stick spray. Melt remaining  butter and stir into crushed crackers and stir, adding in paprika (smoked, NOT sweet). Sprinkle over top of casserole.  Bake in preheated 350 F. oven for 40-50 until the crumbs are brown and the center is hot.

6 comments:

  1. YUM!

    Another one to ask my wife to try.

    So far you're batting 1000, Brigid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think they would get upset if I licked the pan?

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds deeeelish!! We'll have to make it soon. We'll call it BD's Casserole! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For Dad I use reduced sodium cheeses and I make my homemade cream of cluck soup (on the sidebar) without added salt and it's still really good. Glad it's Friday - to work extra early so I can beat the rush out of the city on Friday.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! For Dad I use reduced sodium cheeses and I make my homemade cream of cluck soup (on the sidebar) without added salt and it's still really good. Glad it's Friday - to work extra early so I can beat the rush out of the city on Friday.

      Delete
  4. Not a bit casserole kinda guy (stepmom made them too often when I was a child), BUT
    YUM!
    Hash browns and ham and sour cream and cheese!

    gfa

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..