Thursday, April 21, 2016

RIP Prince - Gently Weeping

Prince's music and his genius were the reason he was one of the few musicians that pulled me away from a budding career and schooling, a schedule too busy for the usual interests of young people. But I listened, so much and more than once, standing in line in West Coast rain to see the movie Purple Rain, and buying the music, even though money was beyond tight. That music got me through make ups, break ups, bad landings, and bad decisions, as I finally came into my own.

Look at the video. 2004 George Harrison Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff: Lynne and George's Son, Dhani Harrison. There  about 34 seconds in, when he picks the high E rapidly, while alternatively fretting the note and leaving it open. I’ve never seen anyone do this since. . . ever. Whether you are a fan or not, this is guitar legend. The look on George Harrison's son behind him says it all.


  1. Hubby & I were discussing our favorite Prince performance today and this is the very same video we brought up. It is my favorite Geo. Harrison song and Prince at his legendary best. RIP

  2. George Harrison was another great loss, the magnitude of which people are only just beginning to understand.

    Find a copy of OK Go's "Of the Blue Colour Of The Sky" on *physical media* (CD or vinyl -- their stuff sounds terrible compressed for i-devices IMHO). Heavy "Purple Rain" influence and good commuting music that is often in my car CD rotation.

  3. Everything about that performance is perfect, including the nonchalant guitar toss and walk off at the end.


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..