Tuesday, May 17, 2016

DIY Dining - A Kitchen Update

With the kitchen project and working -  blogging time is limited but here's an update on the remodel while the pizza cools a bit. It was great to have my stove unwrapped and usable.
I am glad we had the cabinets custom made instead of trying to craft them ourselves - makes the whole remodel SO much easier on everyone (except all of the plaster work). This is all cosmetic, not structural but still takes some time.

Here is the original kitchen from back when the Range was purchased years ago (Partner couldn't include both the red ceiling and the red floor or the camera would explode.)  Yes, those are metal cabinets, they are also metal cabinets covered in SPARKLY CONTACT PAPER FROM THE 60'S

SHINY (and NOT in a good way)
When we met and made the decision to ditch my house and make this our home, he had upgraded the house with an Ikea sofa and a few great antiques but there was a lot to be done. But as with any engineer "fixer upper" was like waving well, a red linoleum floor at a bull.

He provided this picture when the project started - I think I commented about needing to get the cat a scratching post.
But the kitchen - like the rest of the house -  with a lot of love and work, is coming together though there is some structural bits that will need to get done when we get those permits in hand.

 Love the new hardware - it fits what is on the ancient stove.
Still a lot of plaster work to do, but it's getting there.  We're going to finish that up and paint after the back porch and fence are done.  Abby Lab needs a yard she can run free in.  Barkley had a big one in Indy but Abby's never had that luxury as I was in the crash pad when I got her.

The light fixture was found at a business going out of business in an old part of the city.
 Yes, there will be a skirt made for the sink, just like my Scandinavian Grandma had.
 The antique appliances are staying - they just fit the place  When the plaster work is done, the ceiling will be white and the walls will be a rich buttery cream color.
It's going to be fun to get the colorful decorative stuff set up as well.

The homes we make for ourselves are the best ones to come home to.

12 comments:

  1. That's a lot of work. Any idea on when you expect to finish it all?

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the plaster and paint is waiting until we get our backsteps rebuilt and the fence in. Abby Lab is a strong puller and if Partner is out of town I need to be able to let her out in the yard from the house, and that requires a completely reconfigure of backporch and steps due to the way the driveway and extra apron for parking is laid out. Walking her with my knee is difficult if she sees another dog and gets excited.
      But the cupboards and trim work should be done by this weekend I hope.

      Delete
  2. I'd give my eye teeth for that stove.... and the sink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sink was a lucky find while out perusing antiques. It was wrapped up and in storage at someone's home, not a scratch on it and less than $100. The stove came with the house, Partner just got it working good.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Lots of hard work, but it's coming along very nicely. My wife and I used to fix up homes and sell them to make a few extra dollars while in the Navy. Hard work, dusty work, but very satisfying work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will suit the house which has been redone to look as it would have 75 years ago, just with modern plumbing and fixtures.

      Delete
  5. Being more interested in things like parallax and spin drift, some might deem me unqualified to comment on home décor and remodeling. But, unqualified or not, the fact of the matter is that I love this project because the two of you did it together. That makes me smile. I would cook in that kitchen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had so much fun picking out the materials. I kind of knew what I wanted and Partner didn't disagree - we have pretty much identical taste in everything (except he likes mustard which I loathe).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. Mustard is okay when mixed in with other ingredients. I use it in potato salad and homemade barbecue sauce, but other than that - never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I am not a fan of potato salad but I add a 1/4 teaspoon to baked beans with the molasses and red pepper and onions. But by itself, I will literally gag if I get a big taste or smell of it.

      Delete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..