Saturday, May 14, 2016

Wild Yeast Sourdough Pancakes - Preppers Breakfast

This weekends pancakes were an experiment.  I had LOTS of wild yeast/whole wheat sourdough starter with the kitchen stove wrapped in plastic all week while my new counters were put in, which involved a fair bit of plaster work when the soffit came out. This was pretty much cosmetic work only, but with Partner's OK, we wrote the check for a local business to custom make the cabinets and do the work - we have enough other projects with a hundred year old home going on, inducing a new fenced backyard and gate after the permits are obtained, so Abby can run off leash in the yard.

Still, it will be great to see the sparkly contact paper (from the 60's) covered 1940's metal cabinets ride off into the sunset (actually we're re-using them for more prepper supplies in the basement.)
Yo, Mom where did my treat jar go?

So I made some whole wheat pancakes with mostly sourdough starter and they were really tasty - fairly thin but melt in your mouth soft, not tree hugging hippie crunchy from the whole wheat.  You can type in "wild yeast" in the search function on this blog if you are new here.  There are posts with links with info on buying your wild yeast starter from Azure Standard - or even better, harvesting it from your own garden.  I've not bought or used commercial yeast in ANY of my grain products since making up a batch of this for the refrigerator and I bake my bread from scratch each week.
Making enough to feed three or four people, we put the leftover pancakes in the freezer to heat up later. Wild yeast sourdough starter has a slower rise time than traditional sourdough so additional leavening was used so I didn't have crepes If you would like them "fluffier" add an additional 1/2 tsp baking powder in with the salt but I left it out so they would have a softer, more sweet texture.

1 and 3/4 cups wild yeast/whole wheat sourdough starter (room temperature)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons honey
Splash of vanilla
Pinch of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom)
1 extra large egg (or two regular)
4 Tablespoons butter melted
1 Tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon baking soda
Mix sourdough starter, flour, salt, vanilla, spice, egg and melted butter (last) in larger bowl.

In a cup mix 1 Tablespoon of hot water with the baking soda and FOLD in (do not stir briskly) right before you cook them on a hot, oiled cast iron griddle.



  1. Replies
    1. I wish as in kitchen work, or pancakes? :-) So far the wild yeast cornbread muffins have been the biggest hit and Partner has requested I make a batch each week. With a couple of loaves of the bread made out of it, I use up most of my starter, leaving just enough to keep it bubbling.

  2. Sounds and looks delicious. So far I haven't had any luck making a viable sourdough starter from either wild _or_ commercial sourdough yeast. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I love sourdough bread and I'm embarrassed every time I buy it instead of making it.

  3. (I've been sitting on this recipe for a couple of weeks awaiting the proper opportunity, now pending)

    So, a question: is the 1 3/4 cup whole wheat starter the volume of the risen starter, or stirred down? It'll be nearly a 2:1 difference.

    1. I just pour mine out of a narrow mouth 2 quart jar into the cup measure using a wooden spoon. The action of the spoon does deflate it a little but I don't stir first. The wild yeast starter doesn't get the rise in the fridge that countertop sourdough starter does.

    2. I ended up using 2 large eggs to make it smooth enough to pour, and they turned out great. Definitely a keeper. Thank you!


I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..