Sunday, June 12, 2016

South by Southwest Benedict

The last week has been very busy with a trip to check on Dad and have birthday dinner with him, as well as tie up some loose ends with work.  So, I have more miles under my backside then I would like and I'm frankly, just HUNGRY.  Still it was great to get back home to Partner in Grime, knowing I'm back at O'Hare upon hearing the TSA security recording with the guy that sounds exactly like Dr. Zoidberg from Futurama (seriously if you are in ORD - listen for it).

I'll catch up on news (Dad has no internet) and email in a bit, right now it's breakfast time!

It's a good day for eggs Benedict - but with a little South by Southwest twist.
Start with corn biscuits

1 and 1/3 cup White Lily SELF RISING flour
3 Tablespoons corn meal
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 Tablespoons salted butter
1 /2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and let sit while you mix up everything else (let sit at least 8-10 minutes)

Mix self rising flour, cornmeal, sugar and cream of tartar.  .

Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture, stir just until combined. Cut in butter with two knives or pastry blender until butter is in tiny little bits (don't incorporate completely for flakier biscuits.)  If dough is "wet" looking, add in another Tablespoon of flour as you knead.

Drop onto floured board and kneed 4-5 times (no more than that). Cut with 2 inch glass dipped in flour and bake on cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray for 13-14 minutes, until golden on top.  Makes six biscuits, leftovers are great with soup or stew.

Top with cooked ham off the bone, simmered in cream until warm.

Top with a poached egg and some cheesy hollandaise sauce with flecks of jalapeno.

-2 tbsp butter
-2 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp flour
-1 1/2 cups milk
-1/4 cup shredded cheddar
-2 tbsp grated pepper jack (or more cheddar)
-1/2 tsp finely julieneed jalapenos (seeds removed)
-1 Tablespoon sweet onion sauteed until caramelized, then diced fine
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp pepper

Melt butter over medium heat in sauce pan, add flour and whisk until flour begins to lightly brown with a subtle nutty aroma.
Slowly whisk in milk until smooth.
Stir in cheese, jalapeno, sauteed onion, salt and pepper.
Stir until cheeses are melted
Pour over biscuits, ham and eggs and serve immediately.

Serve with a side of potatoes with onion and peppers.

12 comments:

  1. You probably do hear Billy West at ORD. Zoidberg is just one of many, many voice acting gigs West has held over the years, and I'm sure the TSA pays well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only at ORD, not MDW or any other Midwest airports, so I'm not sure but it always cracks me up.

      Delete
    2. Life imitates art.

      When I dropped off Mrs. Roscoe at AUS last week, the TSA had a Jeh Johnson video loop on big screens above the security line entrance. The effect was very Apple "1984" commercial.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my the food you make always looks so yummy! Yes, there is no place like home, is there. We'll be on the way home two weeks from right now. I put daughter on a place from Orlando today after a week with us on board. It's time to go home and stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well with your Dad.

    Merle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has cancer in remission, the after effects of a stroke and congestive heart failure - but he's still eating well, exercising each day and reading his Bible every morning. He has a beer on the weekends and beats me at pretty much every cribbage game we play. I have a nurse 4 hours in the a.m. and also the p.m. to help him get started and get to bed. During the day he mostly sleeps - in his home of 60 years. I know it will soon be 24 hour care but as long as I draw a paycheck he'll be staying in his own home. He's happy - that's all that's important.

      Delete
    2. All things considered, that is good news... Happy birthday to him.

      Delete
  4. Proof that blood doesn't make a family. Your a good daughter, B. I know a stranger saying it won't mean much,(nor should it) but that's a good thing, in the crass age we find ourselves in....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My older sister cared for my mother in her home until she passed (she had stayed with me until she decided she wanted to return to Connecticut), and she cared for her husband at home until he passed. She did have help from hospice at the end with her husband. It's the way our families did it in prior generations, and she carried on that tradition.

    Brigid, if you haven't tried it before, try making your Eggs Benedict with _bearnaise_ sauce sometime. For my money, it's _much_ tastier than hollandaise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad refuses to leave his home, I even bought a home specifically set up to where he could have some independence, only to sell it at a loss when he flat out refused. We do what we can. Bless your family for doing what they did.

      Delete
  6. Brigid - sorry, that wasn't meant as a criticism of what you are doing, nor a suggestion. I should have been clearer on that. I just meant it as a comment on how our Canadian-French culture dealt with it, and was common to my parents and grandparents. Our homes were often three generational, with grandparent(s), parents, and their children all living under one roof. That is why so many homes in New England (ours settled in New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island) were big, three story (often Victorian-style) homes. Again, I meant no criticism at all, and I apologize for allowing it to sound that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took no offense, just wanted you to know I really did TRY. You have a wonderful family and we are BOTH blessed.

      Delete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..