Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sunday Eats - With the Scoville Brothers

The last three weeks have been a blur.  My husband, otherwise known as Partner in Grime, has been gone the whole work week on business, and weekends has been building the new back steps so we can redirect them into the yard, for fencing so the latest rescue dog can go straight from sun room to yard in bad weather.  So tonight, just a recipe of what I made Partner for dinner -  as when I posted it on Facebook, several people messaged me to  ask for the recipe..  The original recipe is on food.com  and is called "creamy burrito casserole" but I tweaked a few ingredients (sorry, we're  not a fan of mushrooms in this) and I think my version is even tastier while still being as easy to make. It tastes just like a big burrito without the assembly and the mess to eat and leftovers freeze really nicely for lunches to tote to work later on.

Burrito Casserole:

In a pan cook:

1 pound of ground beef or turkey
1/2 onion

 Add:

 1/3 cup water
 packet of taco seasoning.  (I like Simply Organic brand - no MSG)

Stir well and simmer on medium/low until liquid is absorbed.

While that simmers - in a medium bowl mix:

1 can reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
1/2 to 3/4 cup  sour cream (I used 3/4 cup as I like it extra saucy)
1  teaspoon  hot sauce - I used Cowboy Crooner from

When the protein/taco mix is ready, stir in:

1  can of  non fat refried beans (or canned black beans if you prefer)
1/2 cup Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, liquid drained off (save remainder of can for a chip dip or throw in pasta sauce.
Layer in an 8 x 8 inch dish.

1/2 saucy mixture
3 flour tortillas (soft taco sized) torn into pieces
1/2 meat mixture
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese
1/2 saucy mixture
3 tortillas, torn
1/2 meat mixture
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups cheese blend (Mom used lots of cheese, but adjust to taste)

Bake in preheated 350 F oven (175 C).  until hot and bubbly.  Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes then cut into squares and serve.

I have also sprinkled black olives on top in the past but I  didn't have any last night.

Now that's covered, an update on the steps.  Look how steep those old ones were, and how small the actual step.  Yikes No wonder I took out my knee getting Barkley (NASCAR Racer dog) down these. The ramp was one Partner in Grime just started to build for Barkley when he suddenly came up lame but we lost him to bone cancer before it was done.  Notice the steps also go into the driveway so there's no way to fence the yard so Abby Lab can go straight from the house into the yard, so these came completely out and were rebuilt 90 to the right.

The new steps Partner  designed and is building.

See how much bigger and shorter they are?

Once these are finished, stained, and sealed, the fence will go in so Abby can run off leash and there's space to store the barbecue so it doesn't have to be wheeled into the garage after each use!

DIY may be time consuming but it sure saves a lot of money -  be it construction or dinner.


2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! I made it last night for dinner. I threw in a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes and a 6 oz can of green chilis in place of the 1/2 cup of rotel tomatoes and chilis. Worked out great! Quick, easy, spicy!!!! and filling. Perfect dinner for a stormy, dark SE Alaska fall evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JNU Dave. I smiled when I saw the name as my Mom's best friend, named June, moved to Juneu to marry during WWII. She would send us "Moosealanous" jerky and other treats from up there when I was little. I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..