The vet called today, all the blood screen came back normal, no indications of white blood cell issue and liver numbers good. Yay! So
infection ruled out. It's either a soft tissue injury that won't show up from manual examination or x rays from something he
did when no one was looking, or something I don't want to think about right now. I'm going for the first. The Range is not fenced yet so he's on a leash there, and it happened up there, so he might have tried to hump
the exercise bicycle when we were at work or planted his dismount from that badly. There's no
telling.
If that is what it is, this week of down time and pain meds should fix it. It's been three weeks since the limp first
showed up. If not, then another set of x rays of the area in question (ulna, radius, humerus)
to see if there is any change in the bone. If there is, we have something more serious on hand. It's hard being away from him but he needed quiet, a regular adjustment of pain meds the doctor can closely monitor. I couldn't do that with my schedule this week. But he's got it worse than I, simply lonely here.
- Brigid

Thanks for sharing this. I am very happy to hear that Barkley should be absolutely fine. He is one of my favorite heroes !
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Sending knee-mail until you tell us otherwise.
ReplyDeleteGo The Barkley!
Here's hoping Barkley heals quickly. Emerson (the elder meezer) showed up with an unexplained limp not too long ago. Vet gave him some meds and it cleared up after a couple of weeks. He's back to smacking the younger critters around and keeping them in line. Hopefully Barkley will recover in similar fashion.
ReplyDeleteYay for no infection!
ReplyDeleteHave you counted your kitchen towels, socks, and shirts lately, to see if he sprained something in a wild escapade of "Look what I can almost - just - barely.... steal..."
(And don't we love the "if you chew a hole in that bra, dog, I'm going to have your skull for a coffee mug!" pre-dawn escapades? Not that I ever emerged from the shower pre-coffee, chasing a wagging tail of mischievous delight what snooted open the door, and only realized once I got the bra back that I was wearing nothing but soap suds and dog hair in full view of my male housemate... Malamutes!)
Glad the Brother in Fur to the Cats from Hell is doing okay. Always prayers and good thoughts for you both.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. We continue to pray for you both. Bitter cold W.C. here overnight. I'm ready for spring as is everyone in blog country.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I'm still hoping for the best and that the week of rest will resolve it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update!
ReplyDeletePrayers still directed at you, your partner-in-grime and The Black Dog Of Truth.
As Always,
gfa
Prayers for Barkley!
ReplyDeleteStill thinking of Barkley and hoping all is well.
ReplyDeleteLate to the party, but thinking all the very best for Barkley and all of the human folk, too. :)
ReplyDeleteI couldn't bring myself to comment the other day, it seemed to closely aligned with my last canine loss.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Very Glad to hear the news, and hope he heals quickly.
GreyBeard
Get well soon Barkley! Prayers for you and your tenders
ReplyDelete