Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Have a Can of Beer? You Can Bake Bread

I know a number of folks who have never made a loaf of bread - preferring to pay 3 to 4 times the cost to buy a loaf in the store.  Now, frankly, we don't always have time, especially if you have jobs and children. Certainly, in my house, the occasional Aldi loaf shows up at my house to make sandwiches.

Baking yeast bread takes time, and a little practice.  THIS bread does not.

You only need six ingredients. There's no kneading, and it's pretty hard to screw  it up.  Plus - it involves buying beer and you have to figure out WHAT to do with the 5 cans you DON'T use.

Beer Bread - crusty and buttery on the outside and tender and slightly sweet on the inside, it's perfect with soups, stews, or just a light supper of grilled chicken salad.

Mix in a bowl

3 cups flour (sift it or gently spoon into the cup or you will have a door stop)
1 Tablespoon Baking POWDER
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 can beer (I used MGD - as that is what Partner likes for a post lawn mowing beverage but a bottle of Guinness with a pinch of rosemary is also really good)

Spoon into a bread pan sprayed with non stick spray.

In microwave - melt 3 Tablespoons of butter and pour over bread and place in preheated 375 F. degree oven.

Bake for about 50 minutes.  Crust should be brown and knife inserted into center should come out clean.

11 comments:

  1. B,I bake beer bread all the time.It's good as bread,and also very good toasted with butter.I use Shiner Bock,and it gives a lightly sour flavor to the bread.For a variation,use 3/4 cup brown sugar instead of the white,add a tsp of cinnamon,and a cup of raisins.So good,it's like dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a bottle of Red Apple Ale, makes it a bit lighter in flavor. I have also substituted honey for the sugar.

    Truly an idiot proof bread, I can make it and even the screw-ups are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of flour? (Type, not brand). I understand that it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a new baker, finding the right flour quantity for their location might require some experimentation, especially in hot, humid environments like Florida ... or Vantucky this weekend.

    Don't be afraid to make a few doorstops. I speak from experience -- doorstops are generally edible and tasty.

    Still working on Aaron Franklin's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick - I used generic store brand all purpose. King Arthur is my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying this for tonight's dinner. Used a can of BABA Black Sheep dark beer. Dough was a nice brown sugar color when I put it in the oven. Smelled good as I mixed everything up, (it even rose ok using 6yr out-dated baking powder!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good and idiot proof. I believe I'll have to give it a go!

    Thanks, Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Self rising flour works well and eliminates the baking soda.

    Leave out the beer and sugar and add in an equal amount of melted ice cream, strawberry, cherry etc for a dessert bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs Alemaster makes a mean beer bread. For a prosecutor she's a heck of a chef! regards, Alemaster

    ReplyDelete
  10. brigid,
    my grandma did not buy bread, but always baked her own. In her later years, as a concession, she did use frozen bread dough, as her hands could not take the stress. I think that she made a similar type of "quick bread" she called it. But she used bubble up . she was a non drinking church goer. when I saw this, it made me miss her all over again. thanks and I think I will make a loaf Friday on my birthday as my present from myself to her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Will give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..