Monday, June 27, 2011

Range Day - On the Road

Range Day.

Mr. B. and Midwest Chick and I loaded up and headed to a private range to do some group therapy with a couple friends of theirs. A good time was had by all.

Gear.

The one on the left is my trusty P220 in .45. The firearm on the right (I'll let my readers take a guess as to what it is) has had a trigger tweak from Mr. B's friend Mike. Wow. that's not a trigger, that's art.


More Gear!
And even more new gear!


Midwest Chick nails a bowling pin. (click to enlarge).


Steve fires. Great stance equals consistent groupings.

I liked their pistol range. What's not to like with a club house that actually knows how to decorate the women's restroom for the female shooters! Pardon me, I need to go wash the lead residue off my hands again.


Then, firearms tucked away at home, we waved goodbye to some of the gang. Then B and MC and I went off on a drive to meet Mr. and Mrs. Og at a Indiana winery for a wine tasting. We missed the IND blog meet which was too far away to make it, but this was sure a good way to enjoy the day.


Anderson's Orchards and Vineyard. So many good wines to try. I liked the Rhubarb the best, a recommendation of Mrs. Og. The staff was quite welcoming, and we got to try a sampling of many of their fine products (except for our designated driver who got some tasty water).


While the menfolk went out for a cigarette, the women engaged in female small talk. Children? No. Doilies? No. Church bingo? No.


Quotes from Airplane
("oh Stewardess, I speak jive"):

Jive Lady (Mrs. Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver): Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Jive Lady: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow!

(It's even funnier when Midwest Chick and Mrs. O did it)

Young Frankenstein:

"What knockers! Oh Thank you Doctor!"


and, of course, the unashamed politically incorrect Blazing Saddles:

"It's twue! It's twue"
.

And the men wondered why we were all giggling when they got back.

I'm fortified by two glasses of wine. I wonder if Magnum P.I. would like my shirt
?


Too soon, time for the drive back to the home and hospitality of my friends, where the black labs, Barkley and Schmoo were defending the perimeter and G-cat was guarding the house along with her feline stealth forces.



You can take my gun when you can pry it out of my cold cold paws (did I mention I also have back-up claws??)


It was a great day, my friends. We'll do it again soon.

23 comments:

  1. The pistol on the right appears to be a Colt New Agent which is more or less the successor to the Defender which I would love to have as a personal CCW if it weren't for the fact that I gave up CCW several years ago. Looks like much fun was had by all. Once the amazing stink eye goes away, I will have to make a range trip to get back in the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The winery's website is

    http://www.andersonsvineyard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus, my range box is cluttered.....

    We are SO glad you came down. Come back when you can stay longer!

    A great time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brigid,

    What fun!!! Sounds like everyone had a great time. Very therapeutic!

    I could so use that!!

    SWModel66

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. B - your range box was awesome. You could start your own country from what you had in there. Cool.

    I arrived home safely, and am sorting through the photos. Thanks again. A wonderful time. A big hug to MC for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did the range boxes come from??
    I have been hunting for one (or two) just like that without any luck.
    I too went shooting on Saturday and can verify the therapeutic affects of the activity.
    YeOldFurt

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOF: Email me, I think I know where to get a range box like mine....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great weekend.

    I was just telling a friend Fri. that my next gun-related purchase would be a range box like that with a smaller spotting scope dedicated to the range box.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hands would have been raw by the time I left that place.

    Sounds like you are having a fun trip~ Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like that group therapy is working well for you...

    You deserve it.

    Dann in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubby liked the handgun pictures. Not sure if the drool left on the keyboard is from looking at the gun pictures or the smell of potato pancake/waffles coming from the kitchen.

    If you want a non-alcohol rhubarb beverage for times when you have to get up early the next day, review my Rhubarb-Rhubarb-Rhubarb post from May 27th. It has the recipe for making no-cook rhubarb juice.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs. S. I love rhubarb. But as to the wine, a couple in the group that did NOT like rhubarb, loved the wine. I will check out the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhubarb wine is just... wrong.

    And I'm pretty sure Mrs.Cleaver was saying something a little,l um, blunter than "Dude don't get da help." It's that Detroit upbringing, ya' know...

    ReplyDelete
  14. +1 on the range box envy :) Those are too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a fantastic weekend! Thanks for making the trip--you always have a place and Barkley fit into our eco-system perfectly. Nothing like fishing for puppehs in the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you're doing non-PC 70s movie quotes -- in honor of Peter Falk's passing:

    "Mr. Diamond, there's a bullet hole in your jacket."
    Falk as Sam Diamond: "You should see the other guy."

    "Murder By Death"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a fun day, and ANY day you can burn some powder with friends is even better. Concur on the New Agent...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had fun! I had to look hard at the Colt for a minute. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drang - the rhubarb wine was a total surprise. Almost dry, only a tiny bit sweet, an undertone more of a blush with a hint of fruit and not tart.

    I bought a bottle to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've enjoyed the targets you've posted; allow me to reciprocate. I had a nice range day on Sunday, shooting a Regional bullseye event. Breaking in a new hammer & sear produced a welcome first: https://picasaweb.google.com/kirk10x/Bullseye#5623048937319114034 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Last year I switched a new box, and haven't looked back. Check out http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/. It is possible to add a second optional drawer and retain room for the spotting scope. Gets heavy when fully loaded, but its just the ticket for the matches, like Camp Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kirk - that is one awesome target. Camp Perry, never made it, but I learned to pistol shoot at a little indoor gun range in Elyria. I'd hunted for years, just never shot a pistol. I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.