Monday, November 16, 2015

Range Nuts

Monday's always crazy busy, so for night a very easy recipe to think about making for the holidays. 

Better than Beer Nuts. I make a big batch of these each holiday season to take with me to share with the team, everyone getting their own little baggie full.  It's a favorite of both the carnivores and herbivores and has a great blend of HOT and sweet.  The original recipe called for about 1/3 cup of butter.  To reduce the fat I left that out and they were still really good.

  • 2 organic egg whites
  • 1 Tablespoon water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (this really does add a unique flavor but you can use plain salt)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 and 1/2 cups raw almonds (I toast them for a few minutes in the oven at 350 F for about 10 minutes, then cool, to make them extra crunchy)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. and grease a large baking sheet with sides  with butter and set it aside. 

In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, water, and a pinch of the salt until foamy (just shy of where it starts peaking).

Mix remaining salt, sugar and cayenne in a small bowl.

Add the cooled almonds and stir until moistened.  Add the sugar and spice mixture and stir until all the almonds are coated.

Arrange in single layer on pan and bake for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Set the baking pan on a wire rack to cool.  Keep in an airtight container. 

6 comments:

  1. Brigid, your recipes are so fantastic. Have you ever considered creating a cook book to house them all? It's a little hard to search your blog for just your recipes and I am sure I am not the only one who would pay to have compilation of all your awesome culinary creations.
    Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MTL - thanks but several people have asked that. No, there won't be a cookbook, As a best selling author I can tell you, the editing and formatting part of a book was NOT at all enjoyable for me and the thought of doing it again, plus the high cost of a color photo book, isn't at all appealing.

      You don't have to search the blog for the recipes though. All of them are on the sidebar, in alphabetical order. Thanks for the compliment - that made me smile after and early day and traffic from hell.

      Delete
  2. So many puns, so little comment space....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! (more work than goldfish, though)

    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks so much. I didn't even realize if I scrolled all the way down, all the recipes are all sorted there. Duh. I have them bookmarked now and hope to get a bunch in my meal rotation. It's so nice to have recipes which are real food made from real ingredients for a change.
    Looking forward to impressing family and friends with some yummy HOTR creations this winter. And of course, if they ask for the recipes, I will definitely send them on over here.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Wonder if that would work for pecans?

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly and kid safe. Posts that are only a link or include an ad for an unknown business automatically to to SPAM..